Refresher traning.

High Scale

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi HighScale, congrats on your LA approval!

For info, with the AC scheme we wholly acknowledge the HSE (here he goes...coffee n nap time!) requirement for 'refresher / update' training which specifically comes form the 'Management Regs' ACOP (Approved Code of Practice = the minimum level for legal compliance...broadly speaking) Reg.13(?) - Capabilities and Training, which talks about refersher training on a 'regular' basis and, I think its far to say, this is deemed particlaurly relevant to our industry where 'skilled and competent operatives' are our main controller of risks. This is then further endorsed by HSE at Sect.19 of AFAG 805 Training & Certification (worryingly, if all these references are correct, I din't need to look any of um up...AGHHHHH!!!!!)

Anyway, in parctice, we wouldn't accept the old NPTC Units 20,21 & 22 as they miss out of certain key competnec areas included in their up-to-date equivalents (this includes take down of hung up trees and aerial rescue and obviously doesn't refelect updates in techniques and technologies...I know, "grannies, eggs n sucks"...sorry!)

Hence we would encourage, we actually require, updates to address these. As several people have indicated perhaps doing the releavnt NPTC test only would suffice here BUT I would also strongly advise obtainments of additional comeptneceis, i.e. CS32 & CS41 in particular AND to do the training for these (more advanced units!)

I would also try and make contact with a progressive and dynamic 'training provider', perhaps someone who's up-to-speed with current/modern rigging practices (and aware of the HSE/FC related research) for instance and consider some real 'refrehser / update' training which may not result in a NPTC certificate.

The other thing of course, and 'yes' I know it's all well and good me banging on about it, but I would also think about your professioanl CPD moving in line with your advancing skills to ideally keep a parity.

Hope this to be of help and not to 'ideally worldy'...AND if you want more (NO!!!!) just let me know.

Good luck with it all.

Paul

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)

[ The other thing of course, and 'yes' I know it's all well and good me banging on about it, but I would also think about your professioanl CPD moving in line with your advancing skills to ideally keep a parity.]

???:confused1:

[ The other thing of course, and 'yes' I know it's all well and good me banging on about it, but I would also think about your professioanl CPD moving in line with your advancing skills to ideally keep a parity.]

???:confused1:

Porky...SORRY, n thanks for questionning me!

What I'm trying to say is that as your practical skills advance, so should your associated arb knowledge. This will ensure your understanding of what your doing is in line with your ability to do it...WHAT???

Or put another way I would like to see all practising arborist with a minimum RFS Cert Arb etc, or higher, BUT more important (and what we test for AC) is the ability to demonstrate that understanding through speech..."Mrs Miggins you don't want to 'top' your Poplar tree in your garden as it's bad practice and doesn''t accord with industryt standards BECAUSE XYZ and this will mean ABC etc. etc.

Paul (needing lessons in effective communication) Smith...not common but popular!

Hope that makes (a little more) sense?

BUT more important (and what we test for AC) is the ability to demonstrate that understanding through speech..."Mrs Miggins you don't want to 'top' your Poplar tree in your garden as it's bad practice and doesn''t accord with industryt standards BECAUSE XYZ and this will mean ABC etc. etc.

thats a very important point there paul. i have worked in the past with some very intelligent arborists who i have watched talk to clients about the work they plan to do, and have seen the clients eyes literally glaze over. its good having the knowledge but not everyone is impressed(or fooled?) by spiel containing lots of big words that they dont understand. very important to be able to present your knowledge in 'laymans' terms to the average homeowner.

thats a very important point there paul. i have worked in the past with some very intelligent arborists who i have watched talk to clients about the work they plan to do, and have seen the clients eyes literally glaze over. its good having the knowledge but not everyone is impressed(or fooled?) by spiel containing lots of big words that they dont understand. very important to be able to present your knowledge in 'laymans' terms to the average homeowner.

I can add to that, i know some knowlodgeable people who are active with customers, one guy is really good with it, he can come up with all sorts of examples. yet still talk it simply and in a way that even 70yr old mrs potts in the big house on the hill can understand.

sort of like this:

we understand it like this:

1: we dont top trees because it is not industry best practice and it looks bad and has more chance of a tree catching some sort of pathogen.

it has to be explained like this

2: ere luv we dun' do that coz it might make the tree poorly sick and it might not look pretty

HSE was here today for anual inspection. The outcome was i need a refresher course for chainsaw. I have CS30 31 and CS32. Am i right in saying if i do CS34 or CS50 this counts as a refresher sorry as i don't crasp the above as i am a little backward:lol:

afaik dont you need 33 before you can take 34? i cant remember if you do. 34 is a fun course though, dealing with serious tension and compression!

what are the prerequisites for being an AC?