Hamas big reduction/pruning thread!

Christ Tony !! :001_rolleyes::biggrin:

I'm not interested in the longevity of pollards, my argument if you are going to allow a pollard to regrow to that extent why pollard in the first place and the pollard cut as got to be weaker than if it were not touched in the first place

What is the point of showing healed wounds on regrown pollards, all that is being argue is as above, they are weaker than if left alone

Nice pics to illistrate your point. Just a shame alot of old pollards that havn't been managed properly are bing lost now.

Like I say reduction as a last resort. In the case of old pollards this is VERY nessasery! Shame the management in this way is 40 yr to late.

On the plus side we have some fantastic micro enviros on & around such trees due to the lack of human intervention:thumbup1:

christ tony !! :001_rolleyes::biggrin:

i'm not interested in the longevity of pollards, my argument if you are going to allow a pollard to regrow to that extent why pollard in the first place and the pollard cut as got to be weaker than if it were not touched in the first place

but it just shows how wrong you are to say that pollards will need constant re-doing!

what is the point of showing healed wounds on regrown pollards, all that is being argue is as above, they are weaker than if left alone.

The image shows a tree that has compensated for the hollow, accordingly with claus matthecks axiom of uniform stress, did you not read? If you had you would see why it was relevant and i apologise for this because it is not meant to make a monkey of you but biomechanical structures are cleary in your "to read list"

a short hollow stem can and often is stronger than a tall solid one. Flexure is an important part of a trees strategy for coping with wind loads, "to bend like a reed in the wind" tall heavy bows and trees require much wood to suport them, this is far more prone structuraly fail at unions than thin wispy limbs on a stout framework. It is also worth remembering that re growth may be lost to far less detriment than a major limb in an unreduced tree, opening huge areas of heartwood or ripewood to the elements creating a major sttructural flaw in the longer term.

The image shows a tree that has compensated for the hollow....................

Tony, it's irrelevant, totally irrelevant.

I have explained above:

Mattecks theory or not, compensating or not.

Why have a compensated regrown limb the same size as the perfectly healthy one you have cut off 20 years previously.

According to your thoery, it has a little hollow in which creates a habitat.

My Point again:

Why cut pollard a tree and then not manage it, if you manage it all well and good, but 19 times out of 20 you end up with a lapsed pollard, which is NOT a safe tree in an urbban enviroment which is what you say you are after

and again....why pollard and multilate a tree, then le3ave it to grow back to its original size

A well managed pollard is IMO a work of art, I know of one I can take a picture of in a 10 mile radius of my house, there are on the other hand hundreds upon hundreds of mutilated trees that have been passed off as pollards.

I'm an engineer tony and look at things in black and white with a the laws of physics in mind.

Tony I am obviously not getting my point across to you or you are just not listening so I'm backing out of your single minded thread mate

Tony, it's irrelevant, totally irrelevant.

I have explained above:

Mattecks theory or not, compensating or not.

Why have a compensated regrown limb the same size as the perfectly healthy one you have cut off 20 years previously.

According to your thoery, it has a little hollow in which creates a habitat.

My Point again:

Why cut pollard a tree and then not manage it, if you manage it all well and good, but 19 times out of 20 you end up with a lapsed pollard, which is NOT a safe tree in an urbban enviroment which is what you say you are after

and again....why pollard and multilate a tree, then le3ave it to grow back to its original size

A well managed pollard is IMO a work of art, I know of one I can take a picture of in a 10 mile radius of my house, there are on the other hand hundreds upon hundreds of mutilated trees that have been passed off as pollards.

I'm an engineer tony and look at things in black and white with a the laws of physics in mind.

Tony I am obviously not getting my point across to you or you are just not listening so I'm backing out of your single minded thread mate

AMEN to that brother!:001_tt2:

Tony If I understand it correctly a tube is only stronger than a solid weight for weight so a 2ft solid stem is stronger than a 2ft hollow stem.

People often misunderstand this.

yes the trees in your example say 2ft diameter, one hollowed and one not, the hollow one adapts as the decay hollows it out and becomes 3ft in diameter but has an equal proportion of woody mass to the 2ft solid trunk.

ity is hollow and wider but casrries the same bulk density of woody material, just over a wider circumference. :thumbup1:

• 4 months later...

Im sure the AA representative would say "some advisories here"

The round over- not a recognised method, frowned upon even, BUT.....

597657cb2ec91_cedar027.jpg.ec51473da6718287dc7c3b00fed4b926.jpg

Clients love this style, it manages the tree from a size point of few, maintains a low sail area AND increasinly slows extension growth with each cut.

Oh rubbish they say! no, the more ramified the foliage mass becomes, the more shoots that form, till so many shoots are being formed it simply produces masses of short growths instead of fewer longer ones. An almost ideal photo synthetic form for production.

of course if you allow it to go on unhindered it would revert back to normal form.

Love it or loathe it, I think its a great shape and way of maintaining larger ornamental varieties like this in the urban fringe.:001_cool:

597657cb29fd9_cedar001.jpg.acddd1bbf3c6e6afc019abc60d1b16b5.jpg

Juglans regia- Walnut, 40% overall reduction of hieght/width

597657d5d4b87_WW22682010001.jpg.8f990d2292c0a24f0d9aa3e730e1d6c5.jpg

597657d5d8cea_WW22682010014.jpg.cf3330eaab656f40ec8bde79b944f58e.jpg

And some great compliments from the client before you all start again!

" we loved the work you did last time and what we like best is the way the tree grows back naturaly when you have done the work, we will always have you guys back, were so pleased with the work as usual":001_cool:

The trees in this garden will never be allowed to be full grown, they love thier trees, and are prepaired to maintain them at a size THEY feel comfortable with.:001_smile: