Hamas big reduction/pruning thread!

I totally agree, if a tree is going to be butchered it should be butchered correctly :laugh1:

But I never ever sell a reduction as good for the tree, I always make sure the customer knows it's only a temorary fix and that they are going to have to keep paying me to come back and re-reduce which next time will be slightly dearer because I will have a lot more to cut and take away :001_smile:

which is totaly my point, there is LESS to take away, that is down to how it is done and managed. In my reductions i find 2nd 3rd prunes an absolute breeze, nothing that couldnt be bundled up and chipped without hasving to reach for the saw, the groundy keps up easy and I can do two or three in a day, everyones a winner, including the client whos trees remain roughly the same size indefinatly!:thumbup:

Thats were we differ my friend, my price is usually cheaper because I can cut n chuck it all out quick. Well as long as its within the next 3 years.

beware of over working stress when doing it this frequaently, fine two or three cycles then leave it an extra two once in a cycle at the very least.

tress get tired if done too regular, oaks in particular

beware of over working stress when doing it this frequaently, fine two or three cycles then leave it an extra two once in a cycle at the very least.

tress get tired if done too regular, oaks in particular

Dont worry mate they never bother to get us back within 3 years, more like 5+ if anything.

Most of the re cut cony hedges are bleedin 3+ years!

Dont worry mate they never bother to get us back within 3 years, more like 5+ if anything.

Most of the re cut cony hedges are bleedin 3+ years!

we actualy turned down the oak re prune that i posted today because after just two years growth it hadnt had a chance to re establish reserves, 5 years is about right for an Oak but you reallly do have to treat them all as individuals, compaction mower damge to roots can all add to stress factors, add too regular prunes and its going to fail to stresses

Going off on a nurdy tangent here a bit Tony, but talking about mowing under trees.

I noticed while mowing yesterday that under six small trees the grass was three times longer and has got a head start over grass out in the open.

Thinking about it, rather than putting it down to leaf little around the tree, I summized it might be down to there being more Myochorzial Fungi around the roots than in the open areas therefore a more abundant supply of nitrogen ??

The new and vigorous grass growth seemed to be the exact shape of the root area in my minds eye of course :001_smile:

Am I thinking on the right lines ??

Well here my half a pennys worth........ :blushing:

Reducing at tree does reduce its sail but as it recovers also increases the trees crown density thus reducing windflow through the crown.

Thinning a tree does reduce windflow through the tree but also leave the tree open to lever arm and windthrow at the extremitys.

Thier is always potential for epicrmic growth to apper on the main stems if over prunning is carried out and the increasing the trees density.

IMO trees don't need us to reduce/thin them really we do it for someone who wants to pay us. When the tree fancy's a new hair do it just sheds a limb or 2.:laugh1: