Why are you not AAAC?

Andy Collins

Why are you not AAAC?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you not AAAC?

• Whats the AAAC?
    • Its just too expensive, not for the little companies
    • I would like to, but dont know where to start!
    • I dont need them to tell me how to do my job
    • I'm in the process of going for AAAC

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAAC= AA Approved Cutter???

Yeah, I was thinking that, AAAC = what?

Agree with general consensus, joining AA seems to cost a lot of time; money and effort for little tangible benefits. In 10 yrs I've never seen or heard of the AA promoting good arb practice to the un-enlightened general public. Just seem to pop up at trade shows and seminars preaching to the converted!

If they did operate something like a scheme & code of conduct that gas installers have to adhere to, it might be a more attractive proposition. But then again there are thousands of dodgy cowboy gas appliance installers still out there!

AAAC = AA Approved Contractor.

It is good to see the Arb Forum promoting the Automobile Association. Their in lies the problem soon as I saw AA I automatically associated it with the wrong AA, not being an Arborist ;).

It is good to see the Arb Forum promoting the Automobile Association. Their in lies the problem soon as I saw AA I automatically associated it with the wrong AA, not being an Arborist ;).

The AA (automobile association) are now doing an approved trades man scheme for plumbers and the like. If they start offering it for tree surgeons I my find I'm an AAAC sooner than I had hoped!!:thumbup:

The AA (automobile association) are now doing an approved trades man scheme for plumbers and the like. If they start offering it for tree surgeons I my find I'm an AAAC sooner than I had hoped!!:thumbup:

:laugh1: im with ya on that Huck.

Good thread, i seem to be with majority on being to expensive. I personally would like to see the AAAC transform into arbs version of gas safe where everyone has to be a member an adhear to rules and regs. I think it's the best way to keep the standard of tree work high and safe.

I definately agree 100%, it's driving me mad that i have to fork out a fortune for my tickets and training but yet all i seem to see is Gypo ladder gangs everywhere. I'm determined to do things the right way and thats the track i'll stick to but it can be demorilising. If things can't or won't be tightened up maybe a rival/alternative stricter version of AA is called for to give Arboriculture the same recognition Gas Engineers get under the banner of Gas Safe? Then again, like everything else it will probably boil down to how much the Government can make from it which could lead to even more charges.:sneaky2:

THANKS ANDY et al, for your postings so far.

I continue to watch with interest, and I'm learning and getting new ideas which is great. The 'poll' is painting a very interesting picture and perhaps one we've chosen to ignore previously believing what we do and what we offer represents "good value for money"...but then WE would of course (listen to your potential customers ArbAssoc!!!)

Again, if okay with everyone, I'll let it run a little while longer and the give further, more detailed, comment thereafter.

Cheers all..

Paul

Agree, and even Devon County Council dont look for it now, just have to be CHAS registered. At the framework meeting a few months ago there were a few peed off people who had spent a lot of time and money becoming AAAC's just for the council work, and the council have decided that it is not a requirement:blushing:

Stuart, thanks for your post here, albeit it did concern me a little.

I have just spoken to Devon County Council, as I have on several previous occassions, and they have confirmed that having AAAC status is absolutely recognised and does have value.

The analogy would be that CHAS, as basic H&S compliance, opens the door and then AAAC (automatically) or 'equivalent' (after a DCC audit AND provided you 'pass'), as the 'operational competence' test, allows you to walk through.

The first DCC audit, required for none AAACs, will apparently be FOC first time round and then charged thereafter as it's undertaken on an annual basis, AAACs will apparently not be required to do this.

DCC also pointed out that whilst of value on their contract, their 'approval' in effect, will carry no value / weight outside of this and selected contractors will not be entitled to use this status in business advertisnig etc. unlike AAAC.

Reading between the lines the impression I got was that, ideally, they would like ALL arb contractors to be AAACs, to ensure a consistent approach and save them a job, and they are likely to encourage such during the contract term.

Lastly, in recognition of AAAC, they have invited me to talk to the selected contractors towards the end of April.

Regards..

Paul