Welcome & thank you for visiting us!

AA Teccie (Paul)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot will depend on what the applicant wants out of AAAC.

As a 1 man band I don’t want, commercial or LA tendering clout or to get tied in knots by compliance with H&S

I want The AA logo on my adverts and on my van as a work standard guarantee.

Some have already argued that joe public doesn’t know the word ARB so this will have limited value, I think, the AA logo has a tree in the picture and it sounds official so they’ll get the idea.

And I want it quite cheaply, How about a “sub” type system of X small amount a week.

I’m sure its possible to devise a system which will deliver a standard of work guarantee, and find a way to police it. TO’s do site visits sometimes and may find it to be in their interest to get on board with the AA on this

I’m worried that when combined with H&S compliance, the system will crash and burn. For example, if I never have a rescue climber on site this may exclude me from compliance with any system that is devised no matter how simple. The H&S thing could also put the costs thru the roof.

Is there any way that Quality of work and H&S compliance can be seperated in any scheme, yet to be devised?

I wonder Paul if you could come up with a minimum (cut to the bone) H&S compliance list so that this scary beast can be quantified? sorry more work for you

Whilst I fully understand your comments, and take them on board completely, I'm afraid the 2 aspects of what we do are intrinsically linked AND, I would suggest, with any form of approval clients at all levels would expect you to be complaint with H&S, undertake safe working parctices AND then do good treework.

We can certainly look at 'cutting it (H&S compliance) to the bone', so to speak, and particularly for the "less than 5 employees" (remember regular 'subbies' would be include here too) BUT the 'aerial rescue' thing is gonna be a sticking point...I'm sorry!

Regardless of how often they're used, as it would seem 'self-rescue' is the norm (not good wording but you know what I mean), ground based 'rescuers' (or indeed a 2nd climber already in the tree) competent, fully kitted up etc. etc. is the only realistic way (except for a MEWP of course) we can comply with the 'W@H Regs' requirement AND manage the HSE expectations AND adhere to AFAG 401/402 guidance...unless you've any other ideas/thoughts? (I'm worried!)

In terms of cost, as an example, if you wanna become a CHAS 'Accredited' "less than 5" contractor it will cost you £95 for the assessment (desk-top exerecise, i.e. send off your docs. and statements) + £60 admin = £155 annually, so it needn't be silly money. The assessment aspect of this fee (£95) is incorporated inot the AAAC fee.

Give it some thought, as will I, and post back later.

Thanks for the post!

Paul

The problem with the AAACS is that it is not economically viable at the moment. I have spent hours & hours & hours listening to AC's gripes with the system. It is not well enough polieced is the main concern, but this is indeed a chicken an egg situation: the AA need more money AAAC fees to poliece the scheme & the contractors need them to poliece it to convince them to get on board. There are also some major holes in the scheme IMO but i wont get it to that on here.

The problem with the AAACS is that it is not economically viable at the moment. I have spent hours & hours & hours listening to AC's gripes with the system. It is not well enough polieced is the main concern, but this is indeed a chicken an egg situation: the AA need more money AAAC fees to poliece the scheme & the contractors need them to poliece it to convince them to get on board. There are also some major holes in the scheme IMO but i wont get it to that on here.

Thanks for you post.

You're quite right that if there was a 'bigger' pot we could do more, inc. maybe checking works intermittently, but I still see the LA TO having a key role here too plus having their involvemnet in the scheme will increase 'buy in' and commitment to the cause...so to speak.

PLEASE DO EXPOSE ANY HOLES AS THIS IS OUR CHANCE TO 'PATCH THEM UP' AND GET IT RIGHT. Not wanting to do anything covertly but if you're happier contacting me directly then 'PM' me..PLEASE!

Thanks..

Paul

Now get back in that sunshine..!

i used to think i knew it all until i came on here, now i realise more strings to your bow is very worth while, my excuses for everything used to be ' well others dont why should i?' but i dont care about others, and taking pride in your own work is essential anyway, if i am waiting for word of mouth to spread then this is all well and good, but if i had this then others would find me, maybe the pic of the crop so to speak of customers. Where do i find out what i have to do to become a recomended contractor, costs etc paul

Hi 'Skyhuck', thanks for the post.

Annoyingly, but sometimes I just can't 'shake off' my NEBOSH H&S head...aghhhh!!!!

Firstly the requirement to undertake risk assessments applies to all, not just AAA Cs, and it's a common area of failure highlighted on most HSE accident investigations...but that's not really your point!

It all depends really, you could take a view that as the only (or one of a few) AAACs it may give you a competitive edge over others (dunno??!!) BUT in terms of gaining greater recognition and 'value' at the LA/commercial level certainly more would be better. I do agree tho the benefits of a 'sole' AAAC are probably quite limited.

Sorry, waffle time (and probably all repeats...is it Christmas?! The HSE do a series of one day workshops (FOC) to clients, LAs & the like, about 'Engaging Competent Arb. Contractors', which I deliver on principally introducing the AAAC criteria as a benchmark for arboricultural contracting. During the day most delegates tell me whilst they see the benefits (to them) of engaging arb contractors with an external accreditation, particularly now as it includes CHAS (and 'yes' we can award this for "less than 5 employees"), there simply aren't enough around to do so as they need a set number of quotes/tenderers dependent upon the stimate contract value, i.e. upto £1k = 3 quotes, upto £10k = 5 quotes etc. etc. Hence the 'chicken & egg' scenario which prevails nationally = we/the AA need to get more (many more) contractors recognised.

My hope, is that if we can engage with a core of contractors in each region of the country the scheme and accreditation will self-perpetuate (I think that's the right word, I mean it'll grow itself automatically)...perhaps an idealism BUT one I think, 'NO' believe, we need as an industry.

Reet, "shut up" Paul you've 'rabbited' enuff!

Hope this is useful!

Thanks..

Paul

I think you misunderstood my post Paul.

I am doing the RA workshop and do carry out RA. The aim of the work shop it too work toward AAAC and I was discussing this with the guy who offered me a place on the course and we were both saying how much better the AAAC scheme would be if more got on board.

I think you misunderstood my post Paul.

I am doing the RA workshop and do carry out RA. The aim of the work shop it too work toward AAAC and I was discussing this with the guy who offered me a place on the course and we were both saying how much better the AAAC scheme would be if more got on board.

Is this the AA RA on special offer with lancashire woodlands project Skyhuck ?

How does the AA stand on the waste carrier/broker situation?

Do we need a license to enable AAAC?

Does the AA think the average arb should have a Waste license?

How does the AA interpret the EA stance on virgin wood in reagrds to the average arb setup ie all sawdust, clippings, leaves, needles twigs and branch wood up to 6 inch chipped and removed. All timber removed.

Dont mean to sound aggressive etc in asking its just it has been the topic of much debate in the past and was hoping that if anyone could clear it up it would be the AA.

TO my knowledge it depends on the interpretation of virgin wood (from the EA web site)

I have loads of stuff I can ask/question you:001_smile:

i used to think i knew it all until i came on here, now i realise more strings to your bow is very worth while, my excuses for everything used to be ' well others dont why should i?' but i dont care about others, and taking pride in your own work is essential anyway, if i am waiting for word of mouth to spread then this is all well and good, but if i had this then others would find me, maybe the pic of the crop so to speak of customers. Where do i find out what i have to do to become a recomended contractor, costs etc paul

Stephen, 'et al', apologies for the delay in getting back to you but Friday afternoons is 'footie' afternoon with my boys n their teams (a chance to give Dad a good kicking for making them do their home-work in the week!) and then 'Friday night curry night' followed straight after...with the odd beverage to help wash it down...anyway!

THANK YOU for your post, from which I am greatly encouraged by the content and I am more than happy to send through an AAAC information/application pack if you email me directly with your contact details, address etc. (eithere here or [email protected] whichever suits you best!)

HOWEVER, "foot, self n shoot" time but if there's no pressing urgency for this then I'd recommend 'hanging fire', particularly if you employ 'less than 5 people', until we've had a full and proper debate here and we've had more feedback to Andy's poll on the main forum. The future of the scheme is in a state of flux, so to speak, and anything's up for consideration.

The other thing is you say "..but if i had this then others would find me..", to be completely honest I reckon this is a shout too far at this moment in time. Although they 'may' find you, and particularly if you made a concerted effort to market yourself with the approval, the reality at this current time is that there are very few AAACs in Scotland and, generally speaking, the awareness of the scheme is also probably quite low (perhaps give some of the other AAACs a call and enquire with them).

BUT, eventually, with more 'on board' this could be/will be be changed.

There, now you know why I never made it as that car salesman...."onist Jon!"

Thanks for the post Stephen and if you still require that info please do get in touch.

Best regards..

Paul

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)