going rate for grounds maintenance

miker

hi that seems way too cheap i do similar work to that and with me and a lad ,transit van all tools i try and earn a minimum of 25quid per hour .If you still want to do these jobs id certainly speed up your hayters its easy to do i'll tell you how if you want i run mine more than twice as fast as factory setting then look at other ways you can save time like if the job is weekly then it wont need strimming every visit , spray the large areas of soil in the beds once every 6-7 weeks and then prong them every second week, dont do any hedgecutting on the week that you strim it etc. I know its not always possible to do all these especially when old people are concerned as some of them set there clocks so they can watch what the gardener is doing !! Or just put the price up and if they dont like it they'll get someone else who charges thesame as your new price or somebody who doesnt do the job right but is cheap, hope some of this will help you :thumbup1:

• 14 years later...

Just as a reference point.Generally working on my own mainly.Mobile and v.well equipped with sundry machines-so locally travelling (which adds to costs).I charge a hybrid charging model-regular/loyal customers=£20 per hour/£120-£140 per day.Lawn mowing/hedge cutting jobs/rounds- always priced individually-FAR,Far more profitable than an hourly rate.

Hope that helps

11 hours ago, Trailoftears said:

Just as a reference point.Generally working on my own mainly.Mobile and v.well equipped with sundry machines-so locally travelling (which adds to costs).I charge a hybrid charging model-regular/loyal customers=£20 per hour/£120-£140 per day.Lawn mowing/hedge cutting jobs/rounds- always priced individually-FAR,Far more profitable than an hourly rate.

Hope that helps

That's cheap as phook.

Man with all that kit is £220 - £300 a day here and £45ph minimum 2 hours and £15 fuel.

Most people book days by all accounts 

19 hours ago, Trailoftears said:

Hope that helps

That sounds a little on the low side with all the tools - however sometimes the small low profit jobs lead onto something more profitable like the maintenance rounds and can be worth it.

Would raising the price lose work? and then there is another fine line between the hourly rate and not working and earning nothing at all or working full time every day.

4 minutes ago, Steven P said:

That sounds a little on the low side with all the tools - however sometimes the small low profit jobs lead onto something more profitable like the maintenance rounds and can be worth it.

Would raising the price lose work? and then there is another fine line between the hourly rate and not working and earning nothing at all or working full time every day.

People charging too low is the biggest problem.

It's got to be at least £45 pH to make insurance costs and kit etc these days.

A few thoughts,Yes,I could make more money mowing 3 days a week than 5.5 days-which is what I do.However if all I did was follow machines around-well, I'd rather cut my leg off,thats simply NOT why I work in this sector.But I think my point is missed.For instance I charge one couple £140 a day-2 days a week 48 weeks a year,so they are paying north of a thousand pounds every 4 weeks into my account.I turn up at 9.45,commence work at ten til 1,then 45 mins for lunch and nattering.Back to work at 2 then at 4.30,Ill be sitting in their conservatory sipping tea.Also,I do loads of unnatended properties,some holiday homes,some rural farms/country houses.I'll give them an initial price for a mornings work-9.30-1.say £85.Initially that will take me 3 hours,after a few months, being reasonally quick and efficient-I'll be walking away in under 2 hrs.Even one off jobs which I quote fairly high-most people tend to tip me generously anyway.I set my own agenda/wrkloads generally,No one will see me before 10-4.30 I'm done.If its a stinky wet day-fine,radio 6 on/feet up/lager opened/good book dealt with.As long as housing/utility/food costs are met plus an exotic holiday when fancied plus as much draw/lager/ciggies as needed-that will do for me.Its not about headline earnings-its about quality of life and job satisfaction.Yes,money matters,but if thats all that drives you-you have a problem.

• Like 2

Its funny-I've been there/done that-40 odd years ago building up my business-I used to get SOO excited that I'd had my best ever week for earnings,set a new record for the week etc,etc.Where does that get you?-I'll tell you-burnout,divorce and a really f#ck off tax bill-wow,big deal.....