going rate for grounds maintenance

miker

Actually quite theraputic and rewarding, well some of the time........... Can you not use a 21inch hayter, will make a big difference!!

Sounds very cheap to me, but it depends what your outgoings are, how long it's guaranteed for, how many extras you get etc etc.

R

got a big hayter 56 down there but its so slow, get all extra work from them, when it comes in but still cheap isnt it, took over contract when new people bought in to it so kept price down to get contract

Works out at £12 / hour - that's v cheap for professional gm, extreme minimum £15 and nearer £20+ inc machinery I reckon??

Went to look at some trees for a hospice the other day. Resident gardener was eating his lunch in his Mondeo estate full of earthy tools; he must have been nearly 80 and charging £4 / hour !!! :cursing:

Works out at £12 / hour - that's v cheap for professional gm, extreme minimum £15 and nearer £20+ inc machinery I reckon??

Went to look at some trees for a hospice the other day. Resident gardener was eating his lunch in his Mondeo estate full of earthy tools; he must have been nearly 80 and charging £4 / hour !!! :cursing:

cheers mate, yeah running 2 hayters, 2 strimmers, 2 of everything really, transit, oil , fuel, strimmer line etc, all adds up dont it, reckon im on about 4 quid an hour, lol

Have you had a look at one of the Spons external works price books. They're issued every year and are expensive, but offer measured rates for all things landscaping. They're particularly useful when you're getting into a new aspect of work and want to get some idea of what the going rates are. Also, when you're dealing with QS's or managers, who can point out the fact that you're aware of the price books and that you're benchmarking yourself against industry rates. They'll know what these books are.

Some of the best money I've ever spent has been on these things.

£12 and hour if you're productive (and I'm assuming you are) is very cheap indeed. Have you had a look at adding the depreciation of your equipment and cost of fuel and adding it to your labour rates and seeing how much change you get out of £12?

Best of luck.