Why is it we pay VAT on Chainsaw Trousers

Jontreasure

This looks like a good opportunity for the AA to show us that they really do fight our corner.

Come on AA to say you stop two strokes being banded (although I'm sure the construction industry were on that one too) now get this unfair taxation stopped.

Very very good post Dave.:thumbup1:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my local tax inspector told me i wasnt allowed to claim for staff sweatshirts as they werent neccesary PPE? ,,surely they come under advertising????what a con,,,

my accountant told us we could claim workware against tax IF it was embroided with logo etc and so therefore could or would only be used for the job?!:confused1:

Maybe not enough pressure has been applied to get what is "essential" updated for our sector?

Our sector is just a blip on the big pic of accidents 'it's all about numbers again!' I was talking about this the other day with someone I work with & the list of vat exlusion on not just trousers extended to climb kit too:laugh1: ain't that esensual ppe!!?

I have done my bit for the idiot arb injurys last yr! I feel a campain to up our stupidaty is needed 'not talking about my spelling or grammer' ;) injure to reduce vat! thats what they want ain't it?!:sneaky2:

It is to do with an EC member agreement, Did ask them and have a reply somewhere.

Anyway boots are VAT exempt I have noticed more than one company adding VAT, so too are complete helmets (those than include ear muffs etc), but not accessories (just ear muffs etc). Books too. Here is the link

HM Revenue & Customs: Rates of VAT on different goods and services

there's a common mistake made when suppling helmits and boots that are 'zero rated' for the userwhen you supply kit to employees, you (the company)should be charge VAT on them.

as said befor it a numbers thing, there's just not a big enough number of complaints for the vat man to worry about and then you have the same case for welding mask's, breathing apperatus ect ect

Not really ridiculous, after youve invested in your full kit, being VAT registered does put you in a higher price band on smaller more competative jobs, I.e the domestic markets.

But you get the VAT back on all your running costs, fuel, etc.

And as you told us a while back to make a go as a two man gang you need to charge £600 a day, that takes you well over the VAT threshold any way.

But you get the VAT back on all your running costs, fuel, etc.

And as you told us a while back to make a go as a two man gang you need to charge £600 a day, that takes you well over the VAT threshold any way.

Yes I said to do it justice and run in a "best practice way" but we arent ALL running to such a standard are we, some of the guys in here are just starting out with a van and maybe not even a chipper.

We all have to start somewhere, i did start with just a transit, cut and stack, being VAT registered then would have been a distinct disadvantage. I could compete on price and get my foot on the ladder to the "ideal £600"