ArbDogs? Pics!

Burnham

Dean, cheers for the advice he is allways the last one to leave and enter the house. It's my youngest that he nips im worried about especially when its near the face, the eldest is getting there she doesn't take any crap. Told the wife off a few times shes a soft arse but getting there, he's good and well behaved for me and yes i growl 2 and it works well my only problem is if i leave him in the truck he whinges and barks even if he can see me but i guess he is still young and will learn??

He's quite well behaved already (well when i'm there anyway), Back turned and hes nicked something and chewing on it. He nips at the kids (any advice on that??), My youngest Amy whos 6 grabs him by the scruff of the neck and pins him and says no until he submits is this ok.

it is good to practice this, but not to apply pressure, if you hold a dog down you must be calm. you cant just grab it and pin it down. dont wind the dog up either. good fun for a laugh but it wont do any favours. dean is right, dogs come last in the pecking order. if you clap a dog or reward a dog, you are only re inforcing its behaviour. so if it has been good that is ok, but dont give it a treat or clap it if it growls or jumps about. watch the dog whisperer, the guy is a genius. get your daughter to feed the dog, put its bowl down and dont let it feed until she gives it permision. i hardly use my dogs names any more, they look to me for commands, i keep it simple they, they arent aloud to do squat unless i say. but they will always push you here or there if they have a touch od dominance. but dont put your wee girl in a tricky situation. common sense really. it took me a while but now i can walk my 3 dogs in one hand and hold alexanders hand with the other, he takes the 2 terriers, tonight he walked infront of me and the 2 dogs panicked because they were infront of me and just sat down and looked worried, so he walked infront and i took the dogs. :001_smile:oh, my dogs are in a kennel where they belong

it is good to practice this, but not to apply pressure, if you hold a dog down you must be calm. you cant just grab it and pin it down. dont wind the dog up either. good fun for a laugh but it wont do any favours. dean is right, dogs come last in the pecking order. if you clap a dog or reward a dog, you are only re inforcing its behaviour. so if it has been good that is ok, but dont give it a treat or clap it if it growls or jumps about. watch the dog whisperer, the guy is a genius. get your daughter to feed the dog, put its bowl down and dont let it feed until she gives it permision. i hardly use my dogs names any more, they look to me for commands, i keep it simple they, they arent aloud to do squat unless i say. but they will always push you here or there if they have a touch od dominance. but dont put your wee girl in a tricky situation. common sense really. it took me a while but now i can walk my 3 dogs in one hand and hold alexanders hand with the other, he takes the 2 terriers, tonight he walked infront of me and the 2 dogs panicked because they were infront of me and just sat down and looked worried, so he walked infront and i took the dogs. :001_smile:oh, my dogs are in a kennel where they belong

I've started to watch the dog whisperer and its fantastic, What i think is happening is that he thinks my daughter is playing about all the time even when she pins him so its getting him excited. Walking hes getting there but loves sniffing and watching birds all the time but it will all come with time.

Mines not in a kennel but in a cage under the stairs were it goes when were not in the house and when we eat.

I've started to watch the dog whisperer and its fantastic, What i think is happening is that he thinks my daughter is playing about all the time even when she pins him so its getting him excited. Walking hes getting there but loves sniffing and watching birds all the time but it will all come with time.

Mines not in a kennel but in a cage under the stairs were it goes when were not in the house and when we eat.

make sure the door is open in its cage, at first anyway(caves dont have doors) where dogs would sleep in the wild. the dog sees your daughter as a play mate, rough and trumble. she just needs to stop playing and start leading. not easy when its a wee gorgious puppy though. :001_cool:

Try letting your daughter put his dish down and tell her to get down and pretend to eat out of it, if he comes anywhere near or even look at her directly in the eyes she must pause from eating and growl whilst looking in his direction but not in his eyes.

If he thinks it's a game and comes close, she can grab his muzzle with one hand and snap and snarl at him around his throat, basically just making a load of noise, then go back to eating.

If he still comes close in, she has to do the same but this time gently bite his ear :001_smile:

Mine once went for me when I went to pick his dish up, I immediately grabbed his muzzle and bit him on his ear then grabbed his throat in my teeth gently.

I've only ever had to do it once, I never hurt him but if I even go onto all fours he'll come straight over and roll on his back infront of me. You can do it with bigger dogs but use a muzzle or they may have your face off :001_tongue:

The cage is always open when were there and closed when were not, as long as it doesnt enter the room were we are eating at the time one thing i hate is dogs begging and looking at you when your eating. My mother inlaw has a boxer and that is treated like a human:thumbdown: that what put me off dogs at first.