Small Holding Small Forestry - is it just ball ache?

So....

I live on a 9 acre small holding which we share with my mother in law, i've posted in here before with variouse plans and ideas but honestly with so much required invesment, is all the bother and stress really worth it?

I'm currently revamping our ' Yard ' as its just been a neglected mess for 10+ years with random s**t containers and un usable out buildings. I have spent the last year clearing it. In September & the beginning of October we had a big push with a 10ton digger and our tractor & trailer moving dirt and puttin down hard  standing( Recycled Hardcore of variose sizes). This is with hope to start renting out some space for local tradesman and people that want to rent 20ft containers. Theres also a few out building I need to renovate but i'll be renting out those too.

I've managed to get a small loan to cover some of the cost and also use of some my own personal savings. But realistically at the current rate it's not going to pay me back for 3/4 years. This depends on exspasion re-investment, sorting out proper rates etc.

We alsoo have about 6 & half of semmi ancient woodland which we have a forestry plan for and the license to thin by %33 over 10 years. But i've got no money and time to do anything with it! Even if I wanted to sell firewood I need to build a small barn to store it all for a year / 6 months to season it.

I understand that building a buissness is not easy and requires invesment but how much stress and money is it worth? I am lucky in my actual job pays alright and I don't do it fall time. But with the small holding I don't have any days off. I am not a farmer and have no intrest in ' Farming' but I do enjoy forestry and working with wood and trees.

I also looked in to selling wood chip for biomass, but I'd need to get a telehandler and build a very large conceret bay to keep it in, along with a half decent PTO wood chipper.

It currently just feels like loads of invesment with time and money with no return!

Am I just being a little bi**ch and the true reality is " Yes its very and exspensive, but that's just how it is"

Any way rant over - Cheers for any input

Welcome to the farming club, it's very expensive if you ever want to do absolutely anything.

Forget the firewood & woodchip, unless you want to be a tip site as 9 acres isn't going to be enough.

If it was me, get your rental stuff on its own two feet and use that income to pay for more after getting vat registered in the name of the farm, as it's also a separate income from you.

I agree with Gareth there, 9 acres doesn't sound like a lot to me for firewood and woodchip on any scale that'd make you rich... unless you have a way of turning into a value-added product.

Peat-free compost could be an avenue to look into for making more per gram of woodchip.

Mix it with chicken shit, pile it up, ignore it for a while... boom! Free money!

• Like 1

@eggsarascal - Yeah I see what your'e saying but I've been there 6 and half years and the lack of free weekends and no time is starting to take it's effect. I've got a young family too so it can all get a bit much.

@GarethM - To be honest most people have said the same thing, just focus on the renting thing for a bit, as it's minimal physical and actual input once it's rolling along. I think I just needed some one to say " it's not worth doing -X -". I think I knew the answer I just didnt want to accept it.

Not to mention the fact we can't get any grants because were not big enough, only one we can get is the replanting grant. And that's only £1500.00.

Cheers Lads.

Without recounting my tale of woe, I'm running 45 acres zero grants as it's just more hand tying.

Plus a firewood business using arb arisings probably 300m3+, a semi full time electrical engineering business importing/distributing & servicing.

Let's not even get into the finances of what I've spent 100k+, stay with the containers idea first as it's about £30 a week for a 20ft.

52 minutes ago, peds said:

I agree with Gareth there, 9 acres doesn't sound like a lot to me for firewood and woodchip on any scale that'd make you rich... unless you have a way of turning into a value-added product.

Peat-free compost could be an avenue to look into for making more per gram of woodchip.

Mix it with chicken shit, pile it up, ignore it for a while... boom! Free money!

Free money.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1