Dogs - how do you make it work?

SussexHarry

2 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Charlie, my Cocker loved coming to work as well, first in the van as soon as the door was open.

Greedy little dog though, always looking for food, straight up to the client with the spaniel eyes!

IMG_2415.jpeg

IMG_1038.jpeg

I remember those pics .

Anyway, to answer the OP.

Choose your dog carefully.

If it’s coming to work everyday maybe a smaller one that won’t scare the clients or kill their pets (or children)

Both our dogs were rescues/rehomes that were already house trained and we knew travelled well in cars.

Have a contingency plan.

Igor can stay home on hot days, he can have the run of the garden, with entrance in and out of the house, not ideal from a security pov, but when it broiling here, him sitting in the van, even in the shade is out of the question.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Anyway, to answer the OP.

Choose your dog carefully.

If it’s coming to work everyday maybe a smaller one that won’t scare the clients or kill their pets (or children)

Both our dogs were rescues/rehomes that were already house trained and we knew travelled well in cars.

Have a contingency plan.

Igor can stay home on hot days, he can have the run of the garden, with entrance in and out of the house, not ideal from a security pov, but when it broiling here, him sitting in the van, even in the shade is out of the question.

Thanks,

I’m currently thinking along the lines of a working dog - cocker, or maybe a fox red lab - with the intention of actually working them.

Good to see that plenty of the people here have success taking their dogs to work.

Leaving the dog at home is absolute last resort, but there are plenty of family who have offered up to spend the day with a puppy - whether that will continue after puppyhood, I don’t know… doubt it! Then there’s dog walkers, and the odd day when my partner isn’t working. All going well, pooch would be at work with me all day, but I’m trying not to hedge all my bets on that being a given. You never know how they’ll turn out.

Worst case scenario is I have to drop the dog off with family on the mornings I can’t have them with me, and the poor thing will have to spend all day in the company of two sassy chihuahuas!

7 hours ago, SussexHarry said:

Thanks,

I’m currently thinking along the lines of a working dog - cocker, or maybe a fox red lab - with the intention of actually working them.

Good to see that plenty of the people here have success taking their dogs to work.

Leaving the dog at home is absolute last resort, but there are plenty of family who have offered up to spend the day with a puppy - whether that will continue after puppyhood, I don’t know… doubt it! Then there’s dog walkers, and the odd day when my partner isn’t working. All going well, pooch would be at work with me all day, but I’m trying not to hedge all my bets on that being a given. You never know how they’ll turn out.

Worst case scenario is I have to drop the dog off with family on the mornings I can’t have them with me, and the poor thing will have to spend all day in the company of two sassy chihuahuas!

If you get a working cocker the " working " bit is twofold . They are a lot of work initially ( I have had 8 and 1 sprocker in my time ) but will reward you in the end . A little and often is the way . Don't let them get board and try to end on a good note .