chains and files, advice please

yoashman

Hello,

I recently bought myself a second hand 346xp, its the 46cc model. I usually use the work saw, so the chains and files are always there, and I have never really had to think about this all that much, I realise this is a bit of a silly question, but well when your not sure its best to ask!

The 346xp has a 15" bar, the numbers on the chain are 21 and 25 (I cant see the numbers on the bar). Am I right in thinking that for this saw and bar, I will be looking at .025 (is that the same as 0.325? not really understanding that), 0.058/1.5mm gauge, and for that would I need a 3/16" file?

Please let me know if Im being completly retarded:confused1::blushing:, but like I said, when your not sure, its worth asking. Cheers alot, Ash:001_smile:

If the saw is a 346XP with a 15" bar, the chain type will almost certainly be an Oregon 22LP or 22BP type. This requires a 3/16 file. However be warned that the top plate angle will be 25 degrees and not 30 degrees as is common. Check the angle of the witness marks for confirmation. In addition the side plate angle will be 60 degrees requiring a 10 degree (handle) down angle when filing. You can get away with using a 4.5mm file but a 3/16 is better. You can get a small roller jig at most arb suppliers which I found very useful when sharpening this type of chain. I hope you find my ramblings useful.

chains are often confusing

the 25 is probably on the depth guage so only means depth guage setting

if it,s oregon it usually says the chain type on the drive link which i would guess as the 21 number ie 21bp or similar

will be .325 but 346 run either 1.5or 1.3 guage so either find the info off the bar or take to a shop

hope that helps

i honestly think chain manufactures could make it loads easier ie they put there brand name on every other link but been able to identify which type of cutter or guage or pitch is awkward :confused1:

i honestly think chain manufactures could make it loads easier ie they put there brand name on every other link but been able to identify which type of cutter or guage or pitch is awkward :confused1:

nail on the head.:thumbup:

Worse for the poor sods in the N.H.S. with brand identity more important than the type of use:001_rolleyes:

chains are often confusing

the 25 is probably on the depth guage so only means depth guage setting

if it,s oregon it usually says the chain type on the drive link which i would guess as the 21 number ie 21bp or similar

will be .325 but 346 run either 1.5or 1.3 guage so either find the info off the bar or take to a shop

hope that helps

It sounds like you have the .325 version chain on 1.5 or 0.058 guage which is why it has 21 stamped on the drive link so you need 21BPX064E [semi chisel] or 21LPX-64E [full chisel] on a 15" bar and it does use 3/16 file

Oregon has an easy identifying system

The number of the series of chain is stamped on all drive links.

I will publish links and info on here to help in the near future if it makes life easier.

Les

I was thinking the number 21 on the chain was 21bp, meaning the chain gauge is .058"/1.5mm, if it was 22 then that would make the chain gauge .056"/1.6mm, so Im guessing that as my chain says 21, thats that is going to be meaning 21bp, and like "bob" says, the 346xp runs the 1.5 or 1.3, so its gonna be the 1.5 gauge with mine as its 21bp, and so that should mean its is going to be a 3/16 file, I think. Argh!!!! BRAIN FART!!! Too late to think now, need me bed:001_huh:

but yeah, thats great, cheers alot for that. Aye its all too bloody confusing, there must be an easier way, but if there was, I guess at least one of the companies would be using it, cos I and Im sure everyone else would buy those chains!?

Thanks alot!!!

It sounds like you have the .325 version chain on 1.5 or 0.058 guage which is why it has 21 stamped on the drive link so you need 21BPX064E [semi chisel] or 21LPX-64E [full chisel] on a 15" bar and it does use 3/16 file

Oregon has an easy identifying system

The number of the series of chain is stamped on all drive links.

I will publish links and info on here to help in the near future if it makes life easier.

Les

agreed but where will it tell him it,s 325 or what guage it is and why does it need to say 25 on the depth guage or what 21 it is ie bp bpx lpx

stihl is not any better all you really get is what guage and thats where oregon mark the chain type

so no wonder it,s confusing

i just think it could be easier and simpler all round

i for one would like any info you have although i have the nice little oregon book which is very good:thumbup:

Have a look at the oregon maintenance manual and bar ident as it should help you find your chains pitch and gauge (page 8 i think) and the info to sharpen it and make sure its running on the right sized bar.

The 25 stamped on the depth gauge refers to .025" (25 thou) and is your depth gauge setting (same as .65mm)

Stihl chain is idented by the pitch being stamped on the depth gauge and the gauge on the drive link. Eg 6 on the drive link refers to 1.6mm, 3 = 1.3mm or 1 0r 5 you get the picture!

If there is the letter P or PN on the depth gauge it refers to Picco or Picco narrow chain which is Stihl's 3/8 Picco (low profile ) pitch chain not full 3/8ths. Not to be confused with oregon lp chain which describes cutter type and features. All as clear as mud eh

:confused1:!!

Oregon bar ident.pdf

oregon maintenance manual.pdf