How do they get away with it

johnty

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, as you quite rightly point out it's not a legal requirement to have PL insurance but EL (Employers Liability) is, if of course they have staff 'on the books' (unlikely). AND CS units are....PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment) Regs.1998 Reg 9 - Competence (see HSE Chainsaws at Work top p.3 http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg317.pdf) requires a 'certificate of competence' over anad above the requirement for 'adequate training' its the 'enforcement' of this by HSE that doesn't happen AND the 'awareness' of it as a legal requirement by clients engaging tree surgeons.

Paul

Hi Paul.

Any body working on the job, on the books or not, should be covered by EL insurance no? Hence all "subbies" (hate that word) that are in for the day should be covered by the main contractors EL insurance?

It seems to me that people can carry on getting away with bad practice untill the s-it hits the fan, then and only then will people start asking questions, and by then its too late. someone is dead or badly injured.

Yep.........thats about it really. If it was law to have NPTC etc and p/l ins etc etc who wnd how would you police it anyway? it would be impossible IMO

All good comments fellas.

Another way of looking at it is the sort of customers who employ these uninsured, unqualified, all work of ladder cowboys are often the type of penny-pinching, PITA types you are better off without anyway.

With their gardens full of dog-s***.:sneaky2:

Bout sums it up Mark.

Well at least i'm not the only one who feels this way. I'll sleep well this tonight, not because of this thread proberly because of the bottle of red wine me and the misses are drinking. LOL:001_tongue:

Thanks again for the great feed back, nice one guy's

All good comments fellas.

Another way of looking at it is the sort of customers who employ these uninsured, unqualified, all work of ladder cowboys are often the type of penny-pinching, PITA types you are better off without anyway.

With their gardens full of dog-s***.:sneaky2:

Exactly. A proffesional approach attracts better customers.

You'd be surprised! In my experience some customers expect crappy/scruffy expensive tree work! If the company is doing with no PPE, they think its really dangerous and pay through the nose for it!

I (we all) make it all look safe and (relatively) easy and they wonder why we charge so much!!

I used to stress out about it, acid reflux, sleepless nights, mind racing, stomach knotting, then I sat down and read Stevies thread on stress, re-evaluated what i want, what I need, and how happy I want to be, and suddenly everything seems to be in perspective. I'm sure most of us have, at some time, had the same thoughts and the same worries, and its because we care, because we care we sit here night after night talking about it, summing it up, chewing it over. And suddenly everything clicks into place, we aint alone in our thoughts, we can share it around and bounce it off each other. Enjoy your wine, chill out, its a whole new day tomorrow.:001_smile:

You'd be surprised! In my experience some customers expect crappy/scruffy expensive tree work! If the company is doing with no PPE, they think its really dangerous and pay through the nose for it!

I (we all) make it all look safe and (relatively) easy and they wonder why we charge so much!!

Thats a very good point rupe, im off with me ladder, shorts on and a pair of flip flops next week, gunna double me day rate..............thanks mate.