Isuzu Canter

Ty Korrigan

Right, your opinion is important to me.

Opinions on a new Canter please as 'The Accountant' and I visited the Isuzu dealer this morning.

It's actually behind the Mercedes truck dealer, same business and sells Pronar? chippers too.

The place is under renovation so there was a bit of scratching of head until I located the office in a porta cabin.

Two in stock, a new electric model with a 3.5t tipping unit and tool box for €80k but you cannot tow with that...duh!

and the ubiquitous 3.5t tipper with tool box 3.1m unit.

I was informed the 7.5t was much the same with uprated tyres, suspension and brakes plus it's higher. I didn't like the lack of clearance on the 3.5t.

Took it for a spin around the large dealership lot (not registered yet) bouncy bouncy and did some manoeuvres which impressed Mrs Accountant with it's tight turning circle.

Delay is 6+ months for a 7.5t or cash now and walk away with a 3.5t

Waiting on prices.

I usually drive a Nissan every Friday, I think the fundamental parameters are similar - stiff springs for load capacity, short wheelbase means really good turning circle but the combination gives a terrible ride if the road causes pitching.

For urban tree work, I wouldn't want anything else - getting in tight driveways, Uturn in cul-de-sac, easier reversing overall. If you're regularly driving half an hour in the countryside you'd better not be susceptible to seasickness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ive got a new Fuso canter and a cabstar. traded in a vauxhall movano.

Movano carried the same but so much more comfortable.

personally fail to see the advantages of the type you are looking at over the longer nosed one.

Only positive is its easier to get up close on the front.

Turning circle is really not that relevant as its not a boat, if you cant quite make it just back up a little. 

had a landrover once now that was terrible turning circle. Put oil tankers to shame.

Also i find that front tyres get eaten at a ridicules rate! 

dont think they carry weight any better. 

And lets face it in a 3.5 tonner its all over weight with almost a empty truck!

and bouncy is a understatement! my cabstar literally throws things out the window!

• Like 1

On 24/06/2024 at 14:14, Ty Korrigan said:

Right, your opinion is important to me.

Opinions on a new Canter please as 'The Accountant' and I visited the Isuzu dealer this morning.

It's actually behind the Mercedes truck dealer, same business and sells Pronar? chippers too.

The place is under renovation so there was a bit of scratching of head until I located the office in a porta cabin.

Two in stock, a new electric model with a 3.5t tipping unit and tool box for €80k but you cannot tow with that...duh!

and the ubiquitous 3.5t tipper with tool box 3.1m unit.

I was informed the 7.5t was much the same with uprated tyres, suspension and brakes plus it's higher. I didn't like the lack of clearance on the 3.5t.

Took it for a spin around the large dealership lot (not registered yet) bouncy bouncy and did some manoeuvres which impressed Mrs Accountant with it's tight turning circle.

Delay is 6+ months for a 7.5t or cash now and walk away with a 3.5t

Waiting on prices.

2 hours ago, jose said:

ive got a new Fuso canter and a cabstar. traded in a vauxhall movano.

Movano carried the same but so much more comfortable.

personally fail to see the advantages of the type you are looking at over the longer nosed one.

Only positive is its easier to get up close on the front.

Turning circle is really not that relevant as its not a boat, if you cant quite make it just back up a little. 

had a landrover once now that was terrible turning circle. Put oil tankers to shame.

Also i find that front tyres get eaten at a ridicules rate! 

dont think they carry weight any better. 

And lets face it in a 3.5 tonner its all over weight with almost a empty truck!

and bouncy is a understatement! my cabstar literally throws things out the window!

https://fb.watch/sWO6s3VKbJ/?  Worth a look at the Iveco Arb tipper (video in the link), the Grafter was way too compact for us with little in cab storage, and very basic interior. I know most arb firms have them but it wasn’t for us. The Iveco felt much more truck built rather than an American fridge freezer 😂.

Got to be honest, the Iveco legally carries some 750kg.  Go big. I'd even consider a proper truck that has been shortened so you can still fill up an Arb body but be within capacity. I once went into looking at the Ford EuroCargo sized 7.5 but halving the length!

• Like 1

Isuzu's are hard to break and the aftersales are second to none, agree they are basic but good work horses. The basic design of the range is the same just uprated for heavier loads. As for 3.5 tonne v 7.5 tonne that depends on what you need to carry. Years ago we had a customer blow a engine on a new 5.5 tonne van, new engine arrived next day, that afternoon the customers second van did the same thing at the same place. Next day the engineers arrived from the Factory in Japan to sort the problem, and worked without stopping until they did. You don't get that service from many companies. 

• Like 2

You know what?

I realised today I've been confusing the two makes of trucks names.

Isuzu and Fuso, what is there to choose between them?

My colleague has a narrow cab Izusu 3.5t with toolbox and a 3m tipping unit, very compact and carries a full box of chip very well if illegal as we all know.

No proper central seat though.

I could go for the 5.5t version and be legal (most) of the time given the size of chip box.

I then viewed the Fuso version at the dealers but in wide cab. 

I am told the 6t is not available which is weird as it is on their web site.

Obviously a 7.5t would mean I would be legal all of the time.

3.5t are stock but 7.5t are a 6 month delay.