Seeking Strimmer head with clutch!

FarmerJ

Fellow hard working people…heavy duty blades for 52cc strimmers are excellent for bramble bashing and other tough vegetation opponents.. butthey wreck the strimmer heads and drive spindles!

has someone 8nvented a replacement strimmer head with a built in clutch?. If you know of one, please send me a link!

The key with a blade is only to have enough revs to keep it's momentum up- which is usually a lot less than people think.

If you rev it flat out and swing it into a stump, then yes, you'll have problems.

Also, what strimmer are you using? Unless it's a Stihl, Husky or other decent brand, that's probably your main issue- and given that you've described it as '52cc strimmer', I'm guessing you have a Chinese thing.

Get a Stihl or Oregon brushcutter or clearing saw and you'll be fine.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, doobin said:

The key with a blade is only to have enough revs to keep it's momentum up- which is usually a lot less than people think.

If you rev it flat out and swing it into a stump, then yes, you'll have problems.

Also, what strimmer are you using? Unless it's a Stihl, Husky or other decent brand, that's probably your main issue- and given that you've described it as '52cc strimmer', I'm guessing you have a Chinese thing.

Get a Stihl or Oregon brushcutter or clearing saw and you'll be fine.

Wise words above . 

I find over time blades cause a lot more mechanical wear and damage than string.  Eventually you will hit something or something goes off centre, extra vibrations, more damage to machine, even with a big strimmer. The tri blades are a bit worse for this than the circular blades,

Seriously consider an oregon jet fit head and some 4mm square Diamond Edge line.  With my husky 555rxt, this cuts as well as a blade and lasts for ages.  If you think about it the give provided by a string does a similar thing to a clutch. String is cheaper to replace than mechanical parts!

I hit a can of gloss white paint  buried in some tall vegetation once . Hell of a mess and put the blade out of balance .

Edited by Stubby
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

Seriously consider an oregon jet fit head and some 4mm square Diamond Edge line.  With my husky 555rxt,

The above  has been my set up for years . IMG_20170619_180545.thumb.jpg.36a26f72811fafd16893cda163cea606.jpg

Just now, Stubby said:

The above  has been my set up for years . IMG_20170619_180545.thumb.jpg.36a26f72811fafd16893cda163cea606.jpg

I think I followed your recommendation.  Epic combination that obliterates grass and brambles. Occasionally one of the two strings gets jammed or the stub gets too short to extract, but the beauty of the four string head is you can carry on by using the spare slots.  Its easy to strip, grease and replace pawls and springs, if like me you lent it someone with a ham fist.

• Like 1

Having used line for years on bigger strimmers, I'll bet you barely get past 1/2 throttle. Much more and the line disappears, but good indicator for who is abusing the tools 😉