Longterm firewood storage.

Tim H

I am 65 and cutting firewood to see me through to 80, if the relatives or the psychiatrist dont 'sign me in' before then. I cut and stashed away the following 2 years ago: Leylandii (10 tons) Spruce (3 tons) Larch (3 tons).

This year I managed to cut  the following;  Ash (10 tons)  Beech (3 tons)  Birch (3 tons) Willow (1 ton) and Alder (1 ton). All timber was fresh, standing, and was cut, split, stacked on pallets off the ground and tarp-covered in an airy location immediately.

My question is...will some of these types of wood deteriorate  more than others before I get to 80, even though they are stored as well as I can manage to do it? My main concern is the softer hardwoods such as  Birch, Willow and Alder. I cut 35 tons of Larch 10 years ago and the bits that remain are perfect, as well as Ash that was cut at that time.

Any comments would be heartily appreciated.

Edited by Tim H

You have been a busy boy, I have found that if birch gets wet at all it degrades fairly quickly, not noticed it as much with the other firewood  I have, which is mainly sycamore, beech, willow and rhododendrons.

Edited by roys
  • Like 1

Thanks Roys. Yes, a lot of sweat has gone into that woodpile, while I'm still fit enough to carry a saw. Interesting that birch fares worse than syc and willow in contact when wet.

I'd stop right there (!) and enjoy life a bit.

Tbh I don't think any of that would be great in 15 years time.  Insects, dry rot, degradation of the lignin will leave you with a lot of fragile balsa wood and dust I'd say.

I'd say especially that the ash and beech won't last but actually believe that the others will suffer similarly.

It would be great if someone more knowledgeable can say I'm talking rubbish but I've had logs of my own at just 5 or 6 years old and have had to give them to the beetles.

Sorry to be so downbeat but re-read line 1 and comply!

• Like 4

Yes Nepia, I probably need to relax a bit more and enjoy the bigger picture. Firewood can become a bit of an obsession at times.

Thanks for your comments in any event. I will start burning what I have in hand and let the future look after itself.

28 minutes ago, Tim H said:

Thanks Roys. Yes, a lot of sweat has gone into that woodpile, 

As long as the logs are off the ground and there's decent airflow that shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 2

Likewise, consider the timbers for your house - all good after 15 years? so no reason why they shouldn't be.... if they are well stored. Leave them stacked outside on the ground you might get a couple of years from some species, off the ground, plenty of air flow, and covered you should be OK

• Like 2