Deposits

AHPP

I once had someone gripe at me about my "unreasonable" payment demands.

"There's no need to go to the effort of considering them unreasonable. You only need to think of them as properly incorporated contractual terms."

Didn't add a smiley face but a smugger man might have reasonably done so.

• Haha 2

In my experience someone who wants something in advance for services yet to be rendered ,has an unrealistic opinion of their own abilities.

I have never taken a deposit for machine hire,honestly if a contract climber wanted money up front that would be a red flag larger than the one on the top of the Chinese Embassy.

• Like 7

Now that's more like the fighting talk I was expecting. I charge it because a lot of my freelance climbing is miles away. I'm not spending hours on the road and money on diesel to find they've changed their mind (had it happen). I have relaxed the rule for local freelance jobs and still regretted it, mucked around etc. Lots of people are flakes. Until society at large can go back to acting with a good amount of integrity, they're getting treated like betting shop customers. My regular clients don't mind. They've got to pay me some time and they know I'll be there and do the business. 

Why is there, apparently, a convention to pay in advance for some goods, services, or experiences (theatre/cinema/sports, equipment hire, groceries, some travel, some accommodation, etc.) and to pay after the fact for others (dining out [with a few notable and controversial exceptions], tradesmen, some travel, some accommodation, hookers, etc.) ? What separates them? Why is the line between the two blurry sometimes, and why does one side seem to look down on the other?

• Like 5

They were talking about this on the radio the other day, the rise in dine and dash at restaurants. A couple had been in court charged with a catalogue of offences, eating and drinking thousands of pounds worth then just walking out. Restauranteurs were bemoaning how people have such a brass neck and calling for "something to be done", others were pointing out you don't get dine and dash at fast food restaurants or takeaway but the restauranteurs weren't keen to take payment up front.

• Like 1

A few restaurateurs have started taking payment at reservation, or at least a significant deposit, to secure the booking. Mostly at the Michelin 3* level, but a few others others too. Understandable really, when dinner is more like theatre, with 20+ courses and dozens of staff working to a surgical schedule, and the bill can easily run into thousands.

At that level, it's more akin to buying a ticket to a show rather than paying for your dinner.

Some people would object and say well what if something is wrong with the food and you need to complain, but the answer is simple: at that level, the food is invariably fine, and it's you in the wrong.

I don't see Bruce Springsteen asking for payment up to seven days after the show...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, peds said:

Why is there, apparently, a convention to pay in advance for some goods, services, or experiences (theatre/cinema/sports, equipment hire, groceries, some travel, some accommodation, etc.) and to pay after the fact for others (dining out [with a few notable and controversial exceptions], tradesmen, some travel, some accommodation, hookers, etc.) ? What separates them? Why is the line between the two blurry sometimes, and why does one side seem to look down on the other?

Quite. 

• Thanks 1

I charge for quotes outside of my desired work radius,this would be refunded upon billing for the job if done. No one has yet taken me up on the offer,so if works quite well for me.

For some commercial clients I state that the minimum charge for working say 30 miles away will be £500,plus the job cost on top.These firms have huge budgets and lets face it,if you want to get ahead its not done in this game working for Mrs Miggins.

If I had my doubts about wether or not someone was going to pay or cancel,I simply wouldnt waste my time communicating with them.

• Like 1