Looking for advise on a chipper

Peter-k

There's a couple of companies near me how have gone Jensen A520 after using Forst and Timberwolf, there is a Jensen agent/agri dealer less then 4 miles from them so many be why, or like when I went there for a chainsaw helmet part as I was that way chipper sales man spotted me and then got me to look at chippers, he could sell sand to Arabs. 

Was over looking a farm which 3 tree companies run out of mixture of chippers Timberwolf, GreenMech and Jensen in yard would be a good place to ask what they thought of them. 

Regardless of maintenance some machines will always go bang as everything on them is too highly strung… I know a lad who spends an hour every night religiously on maintenance and has had more breakdowns on his brand new machines than I would of believed possible and wasn’t certainly down to abuse either.

I think most machines these days perform pretty equally, but I think for me longevity and reliability with ease of maintenance is most important… along with dealer support of course. 

3 hours ago, woody paul said:

There's a couple of companies near me how have gone Jensen A520 after using Forst and Timberwolf, there is a Jensen agent/agri dealer less then 4 miles from them so many be why, or like when I went there for a chainsaw helmet part as I was that way chipper sales man spotted me and then got me to look at chippers, he could sell sand to Arabs. 

Was over looking a farm which 3 tree companies run out of mixture of chippers Timberwolf, GreenMech and Jensen in yard would be a good place to ask what they thought of them. 

Is it Tuckwells ? I bet it's Tuckwells.

3 hours ago, Peter-k said:

Out off all the above what has the best set of feed rollers   and grabbing strength. 

Jensen in my view. Jensen work with one hydraulic motor driving a gearbox with two timed output shafts, one to each feed roller. This way the rollers can have coarse teeth that interlock. All other chippers that I am familiar with have a motor for each roller, and therefore the rollers cannot overlap or the teeth would get damaged. Please correct me anyone, if there are other makes that do it the Jensen way.

Aparently T H Whites are getting into being a big distributor for Jensen, if you’ve got that sort of budget it would be worth getting one from them on demo (if they’re not a million miles away) 

From my experience a Jensen a540 is pretty comparable to its competitors in terms of what it will chip, but the build quality of the machine is far better. Plus the weight of the flywheel & the anti stress means they don’t smash themselves to pieces-they are more what you would buy if you were going to run the same machine for 10+ years imo. My little Jensen a528t is amazing, and that’ll be replaced with another Jensen when the time comes. 

+ I’m fairly sure Jensen are the only road tow chippers that have a galvanised chassis (on newer models) although someone may correct me on that. 

Edited by Treetom15
Forgetfulness

33 minutes ago, Treetom15 said:

Aparently T H Whites are getting into being a big distributor for Jensen, if you’ve got that sort of budget it would be worth getting one from them on demo (if they’re not a million miles away) 

From my experience a Jensen a540 is pretty comparable to its competitors in terms of what it will chip, but the build quality of the machine is far better. Plus the weight of the flywheel & the anti stress means they don’t smash themselves to pieces-they are more what you would buy if you were going to run the same machine for 10+ years imo. My little Jensen a528t is amazing, and that’ll be replaced with another Jensen when the time comes. 

+ I’m fairly sure Jensen are the only road tow chippers that have a galvanised chassis (on newer models) although someone may correct me on that. 

Schliesing chassis are galvanised.

In my view forst have taken jenson and schliesing’s ideas and combined them , the fly wheel set up seems based around the jenson whilst the feed roller and anvil set up looks like schliesing’s with the two adjustable heavy springs that will crush and grab most things.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Schliesing chassis are galvanised.

In my view forst have taken jenson and schliesing’s ideas and combined them , the fly wheel set up seems based around the jenson whilst the feed roller and anvil set up looks like schliesing’s with the two adjustable heavy springs that will crush and grab most things.  

Forst have definitely ripped Jensen off that’s for sure. I know lots of people who love Forst, personally I don’t think they’re built to last, and they are almost too aggressive-they’ll rattle themselves to pieces before long. 
£20k would get you a great 2nd hand machine from any manufacturer 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Treetom15 said:

Forst have definitely ripped Jensen off that’s for sure. I know lots of people who love Forst, personally I don’t think they’re built to last, and they are almost too aggressive-they’ll rattle themselves to pieces before long. 
£20k would get you a great 2nd hand machine from any manufacturer 👍

Look at relative second hand values of TW and Först.

• Like 1