Forces leaver

Joelg123

I am genuinely confused as how you managed to get all your tickets but not know the going rate?

As an industry starter I would expect minimum wage as unfortunately you will only be a cost to the employer as without years of experience your tickets are practically worthless.  That is an unfortunate fact that trainers never illustrate,tickets are to cover your employer not demonstrate competence.

I would call every company in a commutable radius of where you live to ask for a job. You might have to work for multiple firms in the beginning but you will make it if you want to.

Your story reminds me of the scam that some trainers pulled over resettlement packages paid for by the MOD.

.....however,  you will have a wealth of experiences- both good and bad, a better understanding of how to deal with people you'd secretely like to just bludgeon to death, and the ability to say yeah I completed that shit of a day to my best ability.  

- Then there's the days when everything goes top class and gives the best buzz ever. Reward enough.

😉

1 hour ago, Mike Hill said:

I am genuinely confused as how you managed to get all your tickets but not know the going rate?

As an industry starter I would expect minimum wage as unfortunately you will only be a cost to the employer as without years of experience your tickets are practically worthless.  That is an unfortunate fact that trainers never illustrate,tickets are to cover your employer not demonstrate competence.

I would call every company in a commutable radius of where you live to ask for a job. You might have to work for multiple firms in the beginning but you will make it if you want to.

Your story reminds me of the scam that some trainers pulled over resettlement packages paid for by the MOD.

One thing the army does extremely well is train up their leavers in preparation for the 'real world.' Maybe this is how the qualifications were obtained?

In my experience, ex forces people have incredible abilities for hard work, strength, organization and ability to put up with crap weather, but the army is so weird - all the odd terminology and Victorian boarding school institutionalization, makes it hard for these transferable skills to come across on CVs or job interviews. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

One thing the army does extremely well is train up their leavers in preparation for the 'real world.' Maybe this is how the qualifications were obtained?

In my experience, ex forces people have incredible abilities for hard work, strength, organization and ability to put up with crap weather, but the army is so weird - all the odd terminology and Victorian boarding school institutionalization, makes it hard for these transferable skills to come across on CVs or job interviews. 

Ex forces guys seem to excel in logistics (HGV) Got a few mates who drive for a living all ex army. 

8 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

With the exception of HGV, I can’t think of any ex forces who I have encountered that had any qualifications worth squat in the outside world, certainly not chainsaw/forestry/arb related. 

Having gone through the same route about a decade ago, much of what has been said is correct.

Regardless of tickets, as a freelance climber you would be expected to cope with and have much of the kit for any job that was booked in for the day. On that basis you are only really a well qualified ground worker.

Going employed would potentially be a better route initially as you are 'qualified' more than many, and this would give your employer the satisfaction that you are covered to be working but can be brought up to speed practically over time. Naturally this means lower wages initially but you can step up to try more complex stuff as it comes along, and those opportunities will be regular.

If you were out for you'd be getting bottom of the scale to start but that could change quickly as and when you proved yourself capable, quick and safe.  That could mean minimum wage for many but at least £120 a day on a freelance basis for me.

Decent climbers are £200 but I've had to pay more for worse depending on who's available.

Good luck with it all.

• Like 1

On 02/04/2024 at 22:18, Will C said:

£200 a day for a decent climber with a min of 2-3 urs experience round here. You are 1 step ahead in my opinion - 99% of you ex forces guys know how to work and have a level of drive to you. Good luck. 
add your area, some one local to you may see and give you a chance. 

that was what I were expecting.

I'm Leeds so for anyone wanting to give me a chance, I'm right here haha! thanks for all the responses lads. Stay lucky.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

With the exception of HGV, I can’t think of any ex forces who I have encountered that had any qualifications worth squat in the outside world, certainly not chainsaw/forestry/arb related. 

There are loads in the communications industry and many (of the higher ranks) have excellent man management skills. None I have ever met would be called 'lazy' and most learn quickly and are as fit as ....