Wish You Were There!

Billhook

Just found this advertisement.  Spalding is only 40 miles away but in those days that was a big deal .  At the age of 13 parents were still very much in charge and the idea of letting your adolescent kid go to a hippy festival with many things to lead him astray was out of the question.  Too far to bike with my knackered single speed cycle.  I would be surprised if any of you lot made it. Stubby perhaps??

Just look at the line up, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, and Pink Floyd were way down the order!

image.png.5a30719403b56b4903bc159b0164a266.png 

• Like 6

I stayed at the Brooklyn Hotel in Leicester after a game on new years eve as a special.  It is on the site of the old De Monfort Hall which had some big names through it in the day. But, by and large, all these smaller spots have gone!

36 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I stayed at the Brooklyn Hotel in Leicester after a game on new years eve as a special.  It is on the site of the old De Monfort Hall which had some big names through it in the day. But, by and large, all these smaller spots have gone!

At least most people have heard of Leicester and know where it is, I cannot say the same for Spalding, bet most. people would have to look it up on their phone!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PeteB said:

Heck yeah.  NME, Melody Maker listing bands' tours always had 'Leicester de Montfort Hall' on the itinerary; as fixed a part of a tour as the Hammy Odeon

Yeah, Leicester, Birmingham, Newcastle, big cities but Spalding Tulip bulb auction hall with tickets at £1.00!!

In 1961 the population was only about 15,000 rising to 25,000 in 2001 to about 35,000 today.  Compare that with the populations of those cities which were well over half a million a piece

• Like 1