Buying a van at distance

river_thames

Heya what would you do? - I need a new van. I found just the one I'm after, but they are made to order.

Here is the link

They pretty much want payment up front, which is kind of understandable for made to order. I've had a couple of chats, and he's pretty salesy. The problem I have is that they are approx. 300 miles away. I can't find any real reviews or anything like that. I don't fancy doing this on trust alone.

Does anyone have any thoughts, advice or experience?

For what it's worth, I'm after a Euro 6, Tipper, Sprinter or Transit, Automatic, High solid alloy sides, 

Primarily garden clearance, so need for true arb body.

Thank you.

50 miles would be my limit, unless it's main dealer or cheap enough to afford being bit.

You want to be able to dump it on the forecourt if it turns out to be a bag of spanners, plenty of arb ones in the for sale section here.

I’ve been to Belgium for a rotating grapple, near the Italian border for a Schliesing chipper and Durham for a Land Rover.

I’ve driven across the country to look at equipment, stayed in a hotel overnight, decided against it and driven back empty handed.

Go and have a look at it (the vehicle itself) look at the work they do there and then make your mind up.

• Like 7

The body looks cheap and flimsy. The ram mounts look very under-engineered, tipper hinges look crap, rear door hinges are badly welded, most of the welding isn't great. The rivets look like normal rivets not monobolts like they should be, so the body might seperate.

It's a 313 so it'll be pretty sluggish when loaded. Still on single rear springs, so it'll either be sat on its arse or they'll snap and take out the propshaft. Spare wheel and cage are missing too.

That's an ex-supermarket van, loads about. You're better off buying a chassis cab and having a body made locally.

Edited by Moose McAlpine
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

The body looks cheap and flimsy. The ram mounts look very under-engineered, tipper hinges look crap, rear door hinges are badly welded, most of the welding isn't great. The rivets look like normal rivets not monobolts like they should be, so the body might seperate.

It's a 313 so it'll be pretty sluggish when loaded. Still on single rear springs, so it'll either be sat on its arse or they'll snap and take out the propshaft. Spare wheel and cage are missing too.

That's an ex-supermarket van, loads about. You're better off buying a chassis cab and having a body made locally.

Actually those are some pretty good observations. 
The ram does look rubbish.

5 minutes ago, river_thames said:

Haha okay I'm so glad I shared the link.

Untrained eye here didn't even consider that the build quality might be terrible. 

It's not looking terrible but certainly not built to a spec for heavy duty use.

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I’ve been to Belgium for a rotating grapple, near the Italian border for a Schliesing chipper and Durham for a Land Rover.

I’ve driven across the country to look at equipment, stayed in a hotel overnight, decided against it and driven back empty handed.

Go and have a look at it (the vehicle itself) look at the work they do there and then make your mind up.

I used to do that, up Scotland and all over. I once bought a van off ebay in Southampton, unseen. Figured it cheaper to fly down so me and my dad flew down 65 quid per person, met the guy at air port. Paid up and that Was that. 

Checked and topped up engine oil, bought some doughnuts from Morriston and filled it full of fuel and hit the motorway 😂 

Got back fine. 

Tbh I can't be arsed now.... seen a couple of chippers I'm interested in but they're all down Surrey and London ffs.... I'm not going down there this week to sneak a purchase in before end of tax year. Sod that