Compost heaps-the ideal.

Trailoftears

Nice=pretty much everything else in moderation.cardboard ripped into bits when wet is really good.Nothing wrong with grass clippings-in moderation.Coarse grass is fine to use-more air in it?the usual household scraps.fairly large amounts of 2" privet clippings is great (green and brown)wood ash-scattered-not 10 soggy buckets of it all dumped in the same spot! Windblown apples are ok within reason,say 2 buckets scattered-not 13 barrowfulls.The last cut of grass mixed with leaves-preferabbly leaves that colour up, after being mowed is lovely.

2 minutes ago, NJA said:

Is washing up liquid politically correct?  A bit of that on their fur, which they then have to lick off.  Doesn't do them any harm but they don't risk getting it twice

Interesting idea. Is that tried and tested?

• Haha 1

I like the constant presence approach.

Secreted somewhere in the protected zone, with steady breath and acutely tuned ears for the first signs of an intruder. Patient, until the moment they tread reasonably close and you take the opportunity, erupting from your hide, no weapon except the element of surprise and a sheer will to give the bugger the fright of its life. As it disappears into the hedge in fear of auld nick himself, you stomp hard with your last few strides to emphasise your victory. You'll strut for a while but inevitably your mind will turn to the next engagement.

Granted it's time consuming but it does work..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Sad to say that Lion poo doesn't really work. I tried it a few years back. I've a friend who is a zoo keeper, she worked with big cats for a while so brought me some. It reduced the activity for a day or so, but all effectiveness was lost as soon as it rained.

The only politically correct thing that works for any length of time is wire netting. Laid on the ground; they hate to walk on it apparently.

I've nowt against cats tbh-got 1 myself.BUT,when doing a strimming job in rough grass on a Monday morn in your nice clean clothes and getting plastered in it in finely graded particles from your boots to your steel visor-Then I am NOT a happy chappie! That's when I instinctively know its gonna be one of those weeks....

2 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Secreted somewhere in the protected zone, with steady breath and acutely tuned ears for the first signs of an intruder. Patient, until the moment they tread reasonably close and you take the opportunity, erupting from your hide, no weapon except the element of surprise and a sheer will to give the bugger the fright of its life. As it disappears into the hedge in fear of auld nick himself, you stomp hard with your last few strides to emphasise your victory. You'll strut for a while but inevitably your mind will turn to the next engagement.

Poetry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Interesting idea. Is that tried and tested?

Might be!  Next door neighbours cat used to get to our gateway, check it was clear then run past, going back to a walking pace once it was past our entrance.  Mission accomplished.  They just won't leave anything on their fur. It does work... if you can get close enough!  Put it this way it never works twice on the same cat though!

• Like 1

Sorry,bit off topic.But DOGS-and worse their owners-its "dont worry I've looked all over the lawns and cleared it all up".Yeh right!*#Also,their idea of clearing it up is smearing it all over the bloody lawn areas.Ive still got to cut the grass/clean my decks and God forbid I miss a bit and it gets into the mower wheel treads thence into my vehicle 😤Forgive the pun,but people really need to get their (and Fido's) shit together.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trailoftears said:

Sorry,bit off topic.But DOGS-and worse their owners-its "dont worry I've looked all over the lawns and cleared it all up".Yeh right!*#Also,their idea of clearing it up is smearing it all over the bloody lawn areas.Ive still got to cut the grass/clean my decks and God forbid I miss a bit and it gets into the mower wheel treads thence into my vehicle 😤Forgive the pun,but people really need to get their (and Fido's) shit together.

Ain't that the truth. Though cat shit buried in your veggie garden multiple times a day is worse. Truly disgusting. I used to live next to a woman who had six of the buggers, they all treated our garden as their personal latrine.

I'd not heard of the Aussie stance before, needless to say I'm completely in favour.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

I'd recommend an explosive HISS at the moment of eruption.

• Haha 1