Compost heaps-the ideal.

Trailoftears

7 hours ago, sime42 said:

I take the lazy approach at the moment. Three of those plastic Dalek type bins, filled and emptied in rotation. Probably a two year cycle. I don't bother to turn it, as I can't due to the size, but it turns out as nice, well rotted compost at the end. Everything goes in there: some garden waste and all kitchen veggie waste, (including orange peel - I've seen advice that you shouldn't include it but never understood why). No grass cuttings though. I cut the lawn as rately as possible so it tends to be seeding when I do.

Ideally I'd have have concrete bays as well.

Those little black plastic jobbies are really efficient possibly because most are black,so presumably 'cook' the contents really quickly.The flaps for emptying are pretty crap-but at least give you a view of the stage of breakdown.I just lift the whole structure off and go from there when its time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Botty Cough said:

My garden is so huge I have two compost wheelie bins that I pay to get emptied.

If I composted I'd soon have such a big pile I don't think I'd be able to deal with it.

Along with burning to keep waste to a minimum I don't really see the point of composting really.

Too much effort for not a lot and the dog digs it up to boot.

Soil is good so I just mix in peat for the holes I dig for planting.

You sir,are obviously a philistine. 😳☹️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Botty Cough said:

My garden is so huge I have two compost wheelie bins that I pay to get emptied.

If I composted I'd soon have such a big pile I don't think I'd be able to deal with it.

Along with burning to keep waste to a minimum I don't really see the point of composting really.

Too much effort for not a lot and the dog digs it up to boot.

Soil is good so I just mix in peat for the holes I dig for planting.

1 minute ago, Trailoftears said:

Never been Palestine....

Besides that the council use the compost for their parks department and I really don't have the incentive.

Edited by Botty Cough

13 minutes ago, Trailoftears said:

This what I slightly feared,Concrete bays/turning with low loaders.Turning!The horror-THE HORROR.He walks away shaking his head sadly whilst brushing an inadvertent tear from the corners of his eyes.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤺🤺🤺

5 minutes ago, Trailoftears said:

Good Compost making is rather like your diet/sex life-variety is the spice of life.Over-indulge in just one facet/component and it becomes both tedious-and all too soon-couner productive too 😉

* counter! 😳

57 minutes ago, Trailoftears said:

Those little black plastic jobbies are really efficient possibly because most are black,so presumably 'cook' the contents really quickly.The flaps for emptying are pretty crap-but at least give you a view of the stage of breakdown.I just lift the whole structure off and go from there when its time.

Agree, the flap is crap. I can't lift the whole structure off because I tied 12mm netting over the open base years ago to stop rats burrowing under. It works.