New Defra figures on Air Pollution from " Domestic Combustion" show PM2.5 emissions fall by 4% in a period when stove sales rose by 40%.

Cycling everywhere and eating cakes is my solution to transport issues.as for work then nuclear powered battery chargers will be the way forward.

Ejection of nuclear waste into space using the last of the rocket fuel reserves is my plan.

Then when we are sat in a sun drenched world with no rain we can burn.....

16 minutes ago, nepia said:

I wonder how long before we crack controlled nuclear fusion... the holy grail of energy sources

Remind me again when they first started doing that research and how much money we waste annually ?

• Thanks 1

On 09/03/2024 at 20:33, Steven P said:

I come at this from a slightly different angle at times.... though about a month into the lockdown with limited traffic the air quality was noticeably better... so why not reduce emissions just for that?

Anyway, oil is going to run out in my lifetime (according to Google), not sure the Ukraine war was a good advert of securing our energy supplies from overseas, whatever we can generate ourselves is going to be a bonus. So I'd go for green energy as soon as we can, eke out the oil reserves till we can live without it. Small nuclear reactors will take about 10 years? from concept idea to commissioning I think for the medium term.

Noting that the oil producing countries are generally controlled by the unhinged or regimes that are not stable. Extend the Israel-Gaza conflict and our oil supplies could be limited. Annoy Putin too much and his oil that gets to Europe in a round about way could be limited. Buy too much wood chip from the US and all it takes is a vengeful lunatic president and we could be in trouble, we are lucky that neither of their next presidential hopefuls are unhinged or going senile.

The reduction of traffic volumes and resulting big improvement of air quality was a positive aspect of lockdowns for sure. It seems that the LTNs that came out of that are more popular than was initially thought as well.

Regarding green energy; if the government can ever be persuaded to embrace it, this will be the next challenge, .

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

As more wind farms are decommissioned ways need to be found to dispose of their tough turbine blades.

• Like 1

They're working on it. I did a back of fag packet set of sums once and there is more glass fibre in the UK small boat fleet than wind turbine blades - the balance might have changed since then though. It will be the next challenge though (Siemens - one of the big manufacturers I think has a recyclable blade due out in the next couple of years if not already).

1 hour ago, Steven P said:

They're working on it. I did a back of fag packet set of sums once and there is more glass fibre in the UK small boat fleet than wind turbine blades - the balance might have changed since then though. It will be the next challenge though (Siemens - one of the big manufacturers I think has a recyclable blade due out in the next couple of years if not already).

Good point, there's a sht load of grp boats in the UK, and world in general. I don't suppose anyone has ever worried about how to recycle them until recently.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2024 at 14:00, Alycidon said:

They get their supplies mainly in pellet form from diseased softwood trees from the USA and Canada,     none the less chip demand in the UK is leading to a shortage in timber for firewood use.   

A

That’s all a load of bull! Reports last week that they were clearing ecologically important forests to feed the Thanet and Drax hunger for Canadian wood🤔. Only a matter of time before the supply chain from there is turned off and the government and general public wakes up and realises that’s the whole project is only viable(to investors) because it’s financed by public money - our money! The government as finally realised that gas power stations are a must because they can be turned on and off to meet electricity demand surges unlike wind and solar. 

• Like 1