461 value

tomm156

hi, 

looking to buy another 461 or possibly sell the one i have and get a 661 and a 400. what would i be looking at value wise for a good condition 461 and how does the 400 compare? plenty of time on a 661 but never used a 400. hardwood oversize firewood production and small scale felling s and when we can find it.

thanks 

thanks all

7 minutes ago, tomm156 said:

how does the 400 compare

The 400 feels like a slightly bigger 261 but loads more power, and is great on a 20" light bar. Compared to a 461 it's a lot easier to sned with, more snappy, but doesn't have the relentless torque. Probably be a great felling saw for you.

Go in a shop and wave a 400 around, I did and ended up buying it.

3 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

The 400 feels like a slightly bigger 261 but loads more power, and is great on a 20" light bar. Compared to a 461 it's a lot easier to sned with, more snappy, but doesn't have the relentless torque. Probably be a great felling saw for you.

20" 3/8?

Difficult to say as not all 461's are the same regarding condition, hours on it etc.

Would you be selling it with a bar and chain...if so what length? 

See it makes a lot of difference.

Its predecessor, the ms460 in good condition are still going for good money....4 to 500 quid mark for a good one, but they are now a good collectors saw and still a good saw in its own right. 

Best judge of what something is worth is 'the bay' watch a few that are listed that are similar to yours as see if they sell. Best if you can find one listed as an auction rather than a buy it now that takes offers. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I have no idea at all about a 461, but I agree about the 400 with a 20" light bar. It makes the 038 it replaced seem vastly underpowered and hugely overweight. As for the 261, mine thinks it's a 400. 😄 What a saw. 

£550 or so?

The OP hasn't replied yet, but I recon a gap of a >20cc between saws is about right. Any less that that and you could get the power jump with a sharper chain / shorter or lighter bar etc.  I'm not sure I'd set out to have a 261 and a 400 or a 400 and a 461.  That's just my view, but also I like saws and having spares is always worthwhile and you always seem to loose money when you trade in well looked after saws.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

£550 or so?

The OP hasn't replied yet, but I recon a gap of a >20cc between saws is about right. Any less that that and you could get the power jump with a sharper chain / shorter or lighter bar etc.  I'm not sure I'd set out to have a 261 and a 400 or a 400 and a 461.  That's just my view, but also I like saws and having spares is always worthwhile and you always seem to loose money when you trade in well looked after saws.

On paper, I'd say you're absolutely correct, only 2" difference in max/min bar sizes, and very little weight difference. The big difference is power, and it's a lot. I'm happy with that pairing, it suits me for what I do, but I believe you're correct that if we start with a 261, then a 461 is a natural partner. Similarly, the case for a 400 with a 661 is logical. 

15 hours ago, Peter 1955 said:

On paper, I'd say you're absolutely correct, only 2" difference in max/min bar sizes, and very little weight difference. The big difference is power, and it's a lot. I'm happy with that pairing, it suits me for what I do, but I believe you're correct that if we start with a 261, then a 461 is a natural partner. Similarly, the case for a 400 with a 661 is logical. 

True.  Maybe I should keep my views to myself, its so personal and depends on your height, strength and what your cutting.  I'm sure there is a case for a 261 and a 400 with appropriate range of bars. If one broke down you could use the other easily.  If felling and limbing, you are more sensitive to weight. But at the other extreme, I often ring/block up massive unsplittable bits of oak.  I do this kneeling so I don't care how heavy the saw is - 120 cc is ideal!

• Like 2