461 value

tomm156

On 27/02/2024 at 14:42, Muddy42 said:

True.  Maybe I should keep my views to myself, its so personal and depends on your height, strength and what your cutting.  I'm sure there is a case for a 261 and a 400 with appropriate range of bars. If one broke down you could use the other easily.  If felling and limbing, you are more sensitive to weight. But at the other extreme, I often ring/block up massive unsplittable bits of oak.  I do this kneeling so I don't care how heavy the saw is - 120 cc is ideal!

If I'm absolutely honest, either my 261 is too big, or the 400 is too small. 😉 However, even though I considered a 462 when I got the 400, it's more saw than I need, or can justify. ( I did give it very serious consideration though ). There are very few right or wrong answers in this game, but a lot of valid opinions. 

Thanks for all the replies, ended up getting another 461, but also going to collect a 400 on the weekend as had a go with one and it will be a good replacement for an older saw I have, probably a bit of an overlap on bar sizes but will have a 20 on the 461 and a 16 on the 400

• Like 2

On 29/02/2024 at 01:39, tomm156 said:

Thanks for all the replies, ended up getting another 461, but also going to collect a 400 on the weekend as had a go with one and it will be a good replacement for an older saw I have, probably a bit of an overlap on bar sizes but will have a 20 on the 461 and a 16 on the 400

With a 16" bar on the 400, you will pick it up before the 461 most days. 😉 You may also smile a lot, when using it. I do. Even with a 20" bar on, it's a handy saw. I don't regret retiring the 038 one tiny little bit. 😂

• 2 weeks later...