Areal rescue

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

No worries about any delays in replying I think we all appreciate the fact that you do reply and provide info:thumbup1:

Your right I should have said practice since thats what I meant and not training tbh:blushing:

I just see it that a 'groundie' with an ariel ticket would need an awful lot of regular practice to be effective in a emergency situation.

I wouldnt like to rely on me rescuing me tbh, if you understand. :001_smile:

Maybe we should all have a MEWP on site standing by just in case:001_tongue:

[ATTACH]30921[/ATTACH]

...or a very (very) long ladder?!

Excellent image (made me laff!)...is that AAA..C it says on the can?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent image (made me laff!)...is that AAA..C? it says on there?

He he looks like:001_smile:

It was just a random image I grabbed from google. Well as random as 'can of worms' brings up anyway :thumbup:

Ladders are a good plan for rescuing and tbh we carry them with us most of the time anyway, although there not that big, 8 metres at a guess.

• 4 weeks later...
Fairly certain that 112 enables the emergency services to identify the cell that a mobile call is made from,999 does not do this.So 112 is best practice.:001_smile:

Most of this is basic c.s.30 stuff really methinks:001_huh:

I agree. 112 will trace your call to a grid ref that the emergancy services will use to get to you.

Cheers 'Targettrees'...point taken on board.

It is something we request to see evidence of, i.e. a note in the managers diary, but clearly we need to speak to the 'guys on the ground' (kinda) to find out for real. Good stuff...thanks!

Paul

Regular practice SHOULD be compulsary, I too have worked for THREE AAAC's and none of them considered it once training and paperwork was fullfilled.

Not only this but also we have to consider WHEN this takes place, after all, who is going to be fit and motivated realisticly at 3 pm on a friday afternoon?

I have said this before on this forum, there is only one place to do aerial rescue, and that is during normal work activities, on a live work site, during a job, without any prior notice.

The climber should have to attract the attention of the ground crew, stop all work and advise what has happened, obviously making sure that everyone understands that it is a practice. From that point on everything should go as an a real emergency, other than actually making the emergency call.

good thinking peter. i was surprised when i did my rescue assesment that rescue from the ground wasnt covered. i think this is the most realistic way of getting a climber on the deck. if you can fiddle about up a tree bleeding trying to open a first aid pack clipped to the back of your harness, then you could soon cut your friction hitch and side strop if need be and get lowered to the ground. this would involve the groundies and make practicing more serious, getting everyone involved. a simple strop with a figure of 8 on would cover this.

to be honest. i don;t think the way i was taught how to rescue climber is very fast.

If a climber needed rescued from tree then he must be in real bad condition. i would through my spikes and flip line up that tree asap. then use a lowering rope around big branch and get groundies to lower him down safely beside me.

every situation is different so you need to be prepared though. setting line up tree might be good idea...but i may be faster to spike up.

Q.Do any of you practice your ariel rescue technique, and if you do how often?

A.Doing once a week as i am traning for my ticket dosent seem enuff as im only doing it for about 4hrs in 1 day

Q.How many of you have a rescue specific kit as suggested/recommended that nothing is ever borrowed from?

A.Not sure on what you mean

Q.How many of you are confidant that if the worst happened the designated rescue personel are confidant and capable enough to really get you down in a realistic time frime?

A.We have had to do time trails for this. We work in 2 climb the tree to the top set our anchor point.Then 1 of us will go to the ground while the other will try and get stuck in the tree.

Q.Have any of you trained beyond the standard first aider?

A.Nope none of us have any first aid and we have been on the course for 7months we havent been shown a thing on it But when i leave i will

Q.Have you ever installed a rescue specific climbing line at the start of a job?

A.Nope

Q.We have been showed how to for are first few rescues but that when out the window

A.When we coudent be assed with it.

I have so many questions! I am doing a piece for collage and need a good controversial and relevant subject and think this might be a good place to look for one as it is something I have given a lot of thought to over the last few years.

Your thoughts and views appreciated:biggrin: PM if off the record desired, mums the word if need be, I just need to know.

Thanks all

Thats what i got to say on it :thumbup1:

to be honest. i don;t think the way i was taught how to rescue climber is very fast.

If a climber needed rescued from tree then he must be in real bad condition. i would through my spikes and flip line up that tree asap. then use a lowering rope around big branch and get groundies to lower him down safely beside me.

every situation is different so you need to be prepared though. setting line up tree might be good idea...but i may be faster to spike up.

N don't foget the ladders...even quicker than 'spikes' over the first 7-8m, getting the groundie to position them n foot them ready for a quick(ish) ascent.

Then you can spike on your 'spare set' in the dedicated rescue kit OR make sure you have your own set available as too often on AC assmts., as we require to see a dismantling op, the climber often (sometimes) is using the only available set...W@H is all about forward planning and organisition and this, often combined with the ladders being lashed to the top of the vehicle which is parked at the front of the house and you're working at the bottom of the rear garden = FAIL.

Okay the reality may be that 'self rescue' on the adrenilin rush is the most common / effective means of getting down to 'Mother Earth' BUT you have to plan for that occasion when the climber (your colleague and often 'best mate') might not be able to and relies on you for help.

Oh yeah, n if you do leave the 'rescue kit' in the locked wagon for security..... PLEASE make sure you, or someone on the ground, has the key!!!!

Cheers all..

Paul