Areal rescue

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the nptc 3/5 yr regs on tickets I feel is worth while is the arial rescue! This is something that is seldom practiced 'although it should be' & prob one of the more important regs that should be imposed if our profesion is to be regulated. I was last told that the last person that the instructor we had to take us through on up dates had to rescue was a dead man! & this illestrated how un commen the need for rescue is 'I hope'!

I cut my wrist late last year in an 18m platform bucket which made me realise the ease that such things can happen! I'm sure I would not have done so off a rope due to familiuralaty of suroundings ect. Point being I feel the adrenalin takes over in which ever way & then the calm which surounds presavation of self & those around you.

A cert in first aid is always a good thing what ever you happen to be doing!

Dialing 999 is free and if you have no signal with your network provider it will automatically connect to the provider with the strongest signal. If you are in the middle of nowhere and can't connect to any network 911 is the international emergency number and connects straight to a satellite instead of an arial mast.

think you will find international rescue is 112 fab

Our new R/A has a box in if for designated rescuer and rescue plan, nearest a&e with phone No. just makes you yhink that bit about the wot if at the start of the day and not rely on just sort if when it happens. I think making sure all on site know all these details(not just putting a X at the bottom) will become a bit more of a priority for me now. Wouldnt be the 1st time a groundi has turned to me at lunch time and said Where are we, when his girlfriend asks in a tex whear he is working even after having read the r/a.

Plan for the worst and hope like hell it never happens!!!!

Edited by Monkey-D
language

Hi all, sorry I'm a bit late coming in on this one...I missed it for some reason.

Just a couple(?) of quick comments:

Someone mentioned the HSE & key to a succesful aerial rescue is 'competence', which is absolutely right. Hence partly why AFAG 401 was recently updated to include that very word:

"A minimum of two people must be present during all treeclimbing

operations. One of the team must be available on the

ground, competent and equipped to perform an aerial rescue

without delay (see AFAG leaflet 402 Aerial tree rescue)."

Apparently their own research uncovered a culture of 'groundies' having the ticket but very little climbing experience, if any at all. GGCP (Guide to Good Climbing Practice 'suggests' practice of AR every 3 months, if the man (or woman) 'in the white wig' gets hold of this in the event of an aerial accident, and you haven't, you'll have some explaining to do.

Secondly, First Aid requirements are that it should be 'relevant to the risks' (here he goes again!). Hence whilst you're standard 'SJA' training may meet the HSE min. requirements, as they're HSE regsitered, is it 'relevant'?...you're decision (there are specific industry FA trainers out there worth a look). Also HSE recommend 'annual refrehers' (1 day) which I've never known anyone do...BUT it seems a 'bloomin good idea'!

Lastly, AR provision is something we 'major on' as part of the worksite audit for AAAC status and too often this is not up-to-scratch and staff are unprepared and the rescue scenario is unplanned = direct contravention to W@H Regs. (anorak!)

And lastly, lastly, question often asked as the AFAG states "on the ground" is what about 2 climbers in the tree = YES, absolutely, HSE acknowledge this is good method.

Cheers all..

Paul

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)

Just wondering if anyone knew why we need to have a rescue climber?

Dont say its to rescue if a climber gets injured.:sneaky2:

I am comparing it to say a truck driver who does need a passenger in case he falls asleep and cause's a pile up.

Has a detailed piece of research been carried out to show that climbers are highly likely to have an accident and need rescuing?

IME everyone I know(including myself) who has had an accident up a tree has self rescued and I dont know any that have asked for or needed rescuing.

I can obviously see the benefits of having a rescue climber at hand in the very rare occasion they may be required but tbh unless the rescue climber is a true climber who climbs every day then I would prefer they just called an ambulance got the first aid kit out and made sure access to me was as clear as possible.