Tirfor type winch

Donnie

I can't believe what I'm reading. If you want to be doing windblow and similarly buggery stuff, you're going to be winching a large proportion of the day. You'd be mad to not apply petrol to doing so. Recommending a tirfor is like recommending a pump trolley instead of a locomotive. Cost difference is negligible. Productivity difference is VAST. Tirfors are a fiddle and you have to crank the handle like a slave. A capstan, you'll be deftly flicking the rope off the drum before the tree's down and moving on. Quick resets wherever you are in the line vs paying a tirfor cable back out. Sod that. And the thought of running steel cable around a hillside turns my stomach too. 13mm Novoleen or whatever Eder sell are the textbook rope recommendations. Snatch block installed in seconds for double power. Massive plus for the Eder is you can get off the line and hide behind a tree while engaging the remote throttle. Way safer than cranking where something might ping at you (you should be employing anti-pinging measures of course but if you can get off the line, get off the line).

Get the Eder 1800. If the windblow doesn't take off, you've still got a self recovery winch for any vehicle (see their videos). 

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

I can't believe what I'm reading. If you want to be doing windblow and similarly buggery stuff, you're going to be winching a large proportion of the day. You'd be mad to not apply petrol to doing so. Recommending a tirfor is like recommending a pump trolley instead of a locomotive. Cost difference is negligible. Productivity difference is VAST. Tirfors are a fiddle and you have to crank the handle like a slave. A capstan, you'll be deftly flicking the rope off the drum before the tree's down and moving on. Quick resets wherever you are in the line vs paying a tirfor cable back out. Sod that. And the thought of running steel cable around a hillside turns my stomach too. 13mm Novoleen or whatever Eder sell are the textbook rope recommendations. Snatch block installed in seconds for double power. Massive plus for the Eder is you can get off the line and hide behind a tree while engaging the remote throttle. Way safer than cranking where something might ping at you (you should be employing anti-pinging measures of course but if you can get off the line, get off the line).

Get the Eder 1800. If the windblow doesn't take off, you've still got a self recovery winch for any vehicle (see their videos). 

I would agree with that 100% [which is why i asked if capstan winches were available a while back] I looked up the Eder 1800, and for most things, i would imagine it would piss all over a Tirfor, and, as you have pointed out, not much difference in price either.

Do not get me wrong, a Tirfor is a lovely bit of kit, but ****************ing hard work.. At a pulling force of 1.6 tons, the handle of the Tirfor requires a force of 120 pounds [and you pull the cable in about 2 inches] The thing with its rope also weighs about 70 pounds.

As you say, if you are going to be winching stuff all day, you would have to be a loony to try it with a Tirfor.

I use mine for pulling my trailer [and digger] up a steep slope from around the back of my house. I used it once to pull a section of tree out of a stream and up a bank, nearly killed me!!

john..

On 03/02/2024 at 20:07, 5thelement said:

I have a full range of Tirfor and an Eder 1800. 
The Eder is quick, light, powerful and runs on the fuel I have with me in the woods (Aspen), 50m of dyneema and a block gets most things down without much effort, but an expensive outlay for occasional use. 
Get a Tirfor TU16 and a decent 3 to 4 tonne snatch block, you can pick them up on eBay for a good price, way better than the cheap Chinese ‘Tirfor type’ shit with dubious build quality.

Get an Eder or similar when funds/needs increase. 

Are you using sheathed or unsheathed dyneema?

I've got a 0.8 clone, bought to live under the seat of my crafter van- getting my first 2wd after years of landrovers set off certain paranoias... bloody handy little thing, paid for itself several times over and has dragged a 3.5 ton van backwards with the handbrake on. I'd buy the same again. 

At the other end of the scale we have a 3.5 tirfor in the workshop, has only only been out to sit in the truck for emergencies, bloody heavy lump

• Like 1