Passed my CS30, failed CS31

Omniata

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what a dog tooth is, but whats a danish? Im guessing its not a pastry!!!!

We were taught dog tooth and split level.

probably same thing but different name, felling a tree against a lean.

Cut the sink, then cut and bore through when starting the felling cut, make the hinge, then when cutting towards the back bring the saw out to leave a holding piece in the back corner. Insert a felling lever or wedge then cut out the remaining piece below the felling lever/wedge.

It works for trees leaning in either direction with a "slight" lean, gives you a little extra chance for extra planning aswell before commiting to the final fell to double check...

I used it a few times on +60ft pines, worked really well and gave me loads of control over the fell...

Well done for passing the cs30 mate :thumbup1:

Having just passed these myself recently, I'd say don't worry yourself about it. I was told failing is a very realistic/common outcome, which is what makes the qualification reputable. Passing anything in life first time is a bonus, but just use it to make yourself more determined next time. I took mine on the basis that if I did fail I was going to re-book the assessment there and then.

Don't let the assessor rush you. These assessments cost are lot of money and your well within your rights to take your time. Sounds silly, but before each tree on my assessments, I physically stood by the tree and moved my body pretending to hold the saw, going over each cut, to get it into my head when I came to actually doing it.

Cut 20% Look 80%, don't be afraid to stop cutting and have a look at whats going on. Obviously apply chain brake if your hands are coming off the saw and don't put yourself in a dangerous position.

Good luck next time mate :thumbup:

Hi...

Just passed my CS30, but failed CS31, today after a pretty intensive week of training...

I was trained on a MS260 but had to take my assessment with a MS310...

Not much difference on paper but there was quite a big difference in weight with the extra oil and fuel onboard...

Add to that the assessor asked me to sharpen the chain, which I completed "excellently" as he put it, however I was sharpening past the wear marks and begining to file the drive links and tie straps.

I raised the issue with the assessor and asked "should I not have a new chain" he said "it'll be fine for the assessment, but I'm pleased you noted it with me"... I was a little "disgruntled" to say the least...

Needless to say I perfomed a "danish" cut, but cut with the kickback zone and in the "danger zone" so got a minor. Then I did a "step cut" and got a pass. Finally did a "straight fell", by this point my arms were killing me after sneding and delimbing, so I cut the back cut at the wrong angle and got a fail on acount of the error made with the danish plus the wrong angle...

He didn't ask me to crosscut and stack either as if he was in a bit of a hurry :thumbdown:

So.... I contacted the training college/school and raised the issues I had, they said they'll get me booked in with the right saw and get me passed...

Hopefully I'll be set to go within two weeks :biggrin:

You freely admit you made the error's, so really it would have been wrong for him to pass you.

If you knew you were too tired to make the cuts correctly it was dangerous of you to continue and you should have stopped.

I don't wish to be harsh, but we work every day with potential danger and taking personal responsibility for all your actions is vital. Its easy to find things to blame when things go wrong, you can blame the saw, the tree, the weather, but in reality we have to look at all these things before we make the cut, if we chose to go ahead and make that cut, whatever happens is 100% our responsibility.

Da'hell?!!!

1) Used an array of saws when I did mine; Stihls, Huskies, Sachs Dolmars, the lot from 30cc to 68cc...:001_huh:

2) Assessment sounds wierd; glad I did mine back in the stone age! It was very informal and breaks / drinks / whatever could be had anytime...[/quote

me too:thumbup:

that was back when the instructor that took the course assessed you at the end of the course, it was very informal if i remember right he just came into a section we were felling pointed at a couple of trees and watched us, stopped had a cup of tea watched us sharpen the saw ask a few questions, job done.

Omniata, just sit it again mate and im sure you will pass, put this experience behind you and move on, you never failed you just found the way not to pass,you only fail if you give up and dont go back. good luck.

I've been reading this thread with much interest. Many people have given valid feed back here most of what people say is true, yes its a hard job, yes you need to practice, I could go on but i think you've probably had enough of that.

At your next assessment explain to the assessor about your condition and that you may need to take more breaks than most. As someone has already posted be methodical, felling trees is a number of operations repeated remember that and do one at a time. There is a maximum time limit for an assessment but the assessor will take everything into acount if he knows your background.

Also remember that the assessor is working on behalf of NPTC and at the end of the day you are paying NPTC for the assessment, if you think the assessor is rushing you, in as a polite a way as possible tell him, he/she is human and will respond to that.

I've been an assessor since before i would like to say and I have found that all who go for this assessment are a bag of nerves but dont be. As i say we are all human and if you talk to the assessor they will make allowences without reducing the compenancy level you need to require.

Good luck with your next assessment and let us know if you pass.

Jim:thumbup1:

Cheers...

I'm due back down there within a week or so to "redo" and get "reassessed" on the bits that were dodgy... And to go over a few other things I questioned that I haven't discussed here...

My instructor was quite good about it and the centre have been quite supportive...

Fingers crossed...

Jim.

I passed my cs 10 & 11 in 1995 but also did 30 & 31 a few years ago and I can see both sides of the coin with a lot of the comments that have been made by your own admision you made erors that is the reason that you did not pass but I do tend to agree with the comments about fitness a large percentage of people on here have had to drag there backsides arond a tree all day with a 46 hanging off there harness so there isn't likely to be a lot of simpothy when it comes to being tired after a few cuts with a larger saw.

Good luck for next time

ps I failed my 39 first time so dont dispair your not the first and wont be the last