Tree ID

9 hours ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

I’d say Wingnut as well. Been years since I geld one but the timber and yellow grain looks similar

The only thing that makes me un sure is that the wingnut near me does not have a strait limb on it , any where . Those cut lengths look pretty strait to me ( if I am looking at the correct pic ) .

Edited by Stubby

4 hours ago, nepia said:

All the 6 pics together on page 2!

Idk what page that is. This site sucks to use, it bounces all over the place. I cut some more, it’s def not locust. The others are cotton and almost certainly walnut. It’s like coffee colored heartwood and splits easy. No thick spines on the bark. Here’s some that I cut tonight that I wanted to ID. Still no idea, I don’t I think I’ve ever had this stuff ever. I just cut some sections and got sap on my hands taking these pictures.

IMG_2767.jpeg

IMG_2768.jpeg

On 07/01/2024 at 15:46, Thesnarlingbadger said:

I’d say Wingnut as well. Been years since I geld one but the timber and yellow grain looks similar

One is definitely cotton. The other I’m 95% sure is walnut. This is the one I’ve never had and can’t ID. Sap got on my hands taking this photo. It’s wet here but if you look at the first post the bark is a light almost greenish color. Shallow ridges. Heartwood turns orange after cutting and splitting obviously. But it’s not Osage and pretty sure it’s not mulberry. I wish it was mulberry. Love that stuff

IMG_2768.jpeg

IMG_2767.jpeg

18 hours ago, Stubby said:

The only thing that makes me un sure is that the wingnut near me does not have a strait limb on it , any where . Those cut lengths look pretty strait to me ( if I am looking at the correct pic ) .

I was looking at pictures of wingnut online and I don’t see anything that resembles it. This tree grows straight up and has nice healthy straight limbs that come out starting 15 feet or so up. Here’s some I just split. Sap came out of the ends, kinda sticky. The other one is cotton. I originally thought it was locust and to my disappointment when I got home and split it found out it was cotton. It’s darker here because it’s wet but the bark has a light color and the ridges are shallow. Seems to be pretty dense and splits nice

IMG_2768.jpeg

IMG_2767.jpeg

• Like 1

3 different species. Cotton with the thick bark. I believe walnut is the one with dark heartwood. Splits very easy compared to any locust I’ve ever put a maul to and the bark is nothing like locust in my opinion. And on the yellow one I have no idea still. Keep in mind it’s wet here so it’s darker but usually the bark is way lighter when dry.  Some sap coming out the ends after cutting. I’m just curious bc it’s different than anything I’ve had before.  Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Next suggestion (from the UK you have to remember): yellow wood, sticky sap - a very large Cotinus?  I've never seen one that big so couldn't say what the bark would be like.

Did you get any leaves - even one - with the timber?