Seasonal colds/flu

Steve Bullman

11 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

yet it’s the bottom feeders who always get the blame for the country’s woes?

Not from me it isn't, I have frequently said that most of the problem of climate change and pollution is down to the wealthy and that the cost of supporting the poorest, including inevitable fraud, is inconsequential in comparison.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Not from me it isn't, I have frequently said that most of the problem of climate change and pollution is down to the wealthy and that the cost of supporting the poorest, including inevitable fraud, is inconsequential in comparison.

While in danger of sounding like a stuck record, it's once again monetary policy that is to blame.

There's £100 in circulation. You have £1. You have 1% of the spending power. Tomorrow, you still have £1 and 1%. But the next day, the government prints another £100 because it wants the money to buy something. There's now £200 in circulation. Your £1 is now 0.5%. You've lost spending power.

To avoid losing spending power and wealth, wealthy people spend the money on running businesses so that they have a constantly replenishing source of money and their wealth is preserved. A lot of this business is pointless stuff, generating pollution and expending resources, which drives the cost of them up for other, perhaps better, uses.

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

@AHPP is not wrong plus these businesses owned by the wealthy are a means to avoid many taxes

I'd go as far as to say I'm right. And since you mention it, fiscal policy doesn't help. People are taxed savagely. They need to get rid of the money so they have nothing to have stolen so they do things with it they would never ordinarily do just so it can come back to them wrapped in some accountancy. Pointless economic activity causing pollution and taking resources away from more worthwhile endeavours. Residential landlording the most obvious and relatable example (which also chokes the supply of houses that other people need to live in - a bonus harm). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, openspaceman said:

The fact still remains, we choose, (if we are lucky)  how we live. People earning/retired on good pensions should pay towards their scripts, at what stage of wealth do you think it should stop?

26 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

The fact still remains, we choose, (if we are lucky)  how we live. People earning/retired on good pensions should pay towards their scripts, at what stage of wealth do you think it should stop?

It is beyond my knowledge. The median household income was about £30k, so that may be a starting point.

I depend on my state pension but as has been pointed out it was only envisaged that retirees would receive it for about 5 years, in fact manual workers who were 65 when I started work seemed to die within a couple of years and I have drawn 8 years pension. In terms of overall wealth it should be affordable.

BTW it is scrips and paying £9.65 every  month wouldn't hurt me but it is possible my medication costs the NHS more than that. The thing is I seem to have to have a prescription to get the drugs (which I am not even sure I need but don't know the risk of stopping them).

Doctors prescribe medication Willy nilly. I know so many people who are on multiple meds and still have problems, end up going back for more. As time goes on and I get to know people more I’m convinced that 99% of their problems would be solved with one medication, a good old anti-depressant 

• Haha 1