Stihl cs500i is it worth it

Eifionhusq

12 minutes ago, Whoppa Choppa said:

One thing I have found - inertia chainbrake simply doesn't work. Tested it on purpose quite a few times - Stihl could have a problem here...

Inertia chain brake is poor and doest’t work on a saw that has the potential to kick like a mule, AV system needs stiffening, fuel economy is crap, filtration system is dire, but all this can be resolved with a full wrap, big dawgs and a bark box. 😂
I don’t know any hand cutters who have replaced their 500i triggers broom with another, most have opted for a 462.

• Haha 4

I like threads like this as its a real open question depending on what you cut, how you cut and how much you cut with a "full size" saw . By that I mean do you cut with a 60cc most of the week and the 500 comes out a couple of times a week ? 

First of all I have to say without fear of contradiction the 500 is the only saw to have so many after market "bits"  ! 

My own 500 is now over 3 years old and as  stock saw I was happy with it but was it the silver bullet of saws ? I did find due to the high tick over it was happier being flat out or if you tickled the throttle its was a bit awkward. for an 80cc saw I didn't think it was that bad on fuel and yes the AV was pretty soft and of course the air filter appeared to be doing a good job as a hoover !

So I had it ported by Hotsaws101 and I had the response I wanted at the same time it was given to Maxi Flow as the test bed for the filter system we now see on 100s of 500i's 

Would get another ? To spend a heap of money only to replace the air filter at the very least I don't know I suspect if I could only buy a Stihl then a ported 400 would be my choice. 

On the AV for the massive sum of 9.50 euros a front av spring and buffer from a 661 transforms the saw 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, outinthewood said:

I like threads like this as its a real open question depending on what you cut, how you cut and how much you cut with a "full size" saw . By that I mean do you cut with a 60cc most of the week and the 500 comes out a couple of times a week ? 

First of all I have to say without fear of contradiction the 500 is the only saw to have so many after market "bits"  ! 

My own 500 is now over 3 years old and as  stock saw I was happy with it but was it the silver bullet of saws ? I did find due to the high tick over it was happier being flat out or if you tickled the throttle its was a bit awkward. for an 80cc saw I didn't think it was that bad on fuel and yes the AV was pretty soft and of course the air filter appeared to be doing a good job as a hoover !

So I had it ported by Hotsaws101 and I had the response I wanted at the same time it was given to Maxi Flow as the test bed for the filter system we now see on 100s of 500i's 

Would get another ? To spend a heap of money only to replace the air filter at the very least I don't know I suspect if I could only buy a Stihl then a ported 400 would be my choice. 

On the AV for the massive sum of 9.50 euros a front av spring and buffer from a 661 transforms the saw 

Is that (front spring and buffer) a straight swap out? Ta