Makes you think…

eggsarascal

I think you have to remember the fact the country has been furloughed at great expense through covid and was heavily subsidised on the cost of fuel due to the Ukraine/Russian war. 

It is easy to forget and think it was all free money but it is based on Government borrowing and now needs paying back.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, spudulike said:

I think you have to remember the fact the country has been furloughed at great expense through covid and was heavily subsidised on the cost of fuel due to the Ukraine/Russian war. 

It is easy to forget and think it was all free money but it is based on Government borrowing and now needs paying back.

Nearly 14 years of austerity and you want to blame Covid. You’re dafter than I thought.

8 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Nearly 14 years of austerity and you want to blame Covid. You’re dafter than I thought.

Ah 14 years...so that includes the aftermath of the 2008 banking crisis as well. 

"Daft".....I often act like an idiot but it doesn't mean I am one;)

I am not blaming covid for the total mess we are in, I am just stating that there are costs to all that has happened and that it has to be repaid. 

• Like 4

I get the Covid and the fuel hand outs, all needs to be paid back, however the total borrowing has been slowly rising over the last 10 to 12 years - if it had remained at the lower level then Covid and fuel wouldn't have needed a lot of effort to pay back. Think only the real idiots wouldn't realise it all needs to be paid for at some time - and far better in my opinion for those of us who benefitted to pay it back than handing that debt down to our children and grand children.

However it is the politics of it that makes me laugh - all wrapped up saying that saving a pint of beer worth of national insurance a week (or a cigarette with the tax increase) is a great thing when the tax rate has been increased and increased again in recent years which will cost most more than that pint of beer.

13 minutes ago, spudulike said:

TBH, having seen that many budgets, they have stopped being of interest to me.....smoke and mirrors each time to kid you you are better off when all the time, you are being done.

Better off avoiding the news as it is soooooo depressing!

14 minutes ago, spudulike said:

TBH, having seen that many budgets, they have stopped being of interest to me.....smoke and mirrors each time to kid you you are better off when all the time, you are being done.

Better off avoiding the news as it is soooooo depressing!

Why try to back them up then with nonsense?

Your original post stated that "the public would be worse of at the end of this parliamentary term for the first time in modern history". 

I was merely putting forward two good contributing factors as to why this would be the case and why the writer of this article is just going for a dramatic headline. 

• Like 4