Silver birch over prune?? Please Help

laura9988

Question

TBH, many of the birches I get to work on are on the limit of property and subject to French laws on height and distance.

Often require a silly prune to appease a neighbour taking umbridge over seeds, leaves or shade.

I've done terrible things to birches at the customers request but only where my fellow brothers in arb can't spot it from the road.

A terrible prune versus removal.

Well, at least retaining with a recipe for rot pockets give someone future work...

1 hour ago, Ty Korrigan said:

TBH, many of the birches I get to work on are on the limit of property and subject to French laws on height and distance.

Often require a silly prune to appease a neighbour taking umbridge over seeds, leaves or shade.

I've done terrible things to birches at the customers request but only where my fellow brothers in arb can't spot it from the road.

A terrible prune versus removal.

Well, at least retaining with a recipe for rot pockets give someone future work...

Sometimes removal and planting appropriate tree is the best option and in long run cost much less with nice outcome,but people usually can’t think that long ahead.

• Like 2

On 18/10/2023 at 13:07, laura9988 said:

Hi, just simply wanted it pruning back due to size.

Just a guess but, More like you went with the cheapest quote and thoroughly regret it know!!!!

I can only imagine that sweet sound of

“Oh no I’m not paying VAT on tree work🫵”

CAN I get a re-pollard👌

11 hours ago, Sviatoslav Tulin said:

Sometimes removal and planting appropriate tree is the best option and in long run cost much less with nice outcome,but people usually can’t think that long ahead.

People want to keep the shade and some ambience which isn't given by a wee stick of a tree.

Even a poorly pruned tree has more amenity value than a newly planted one when in leaf.

Besides, poor pruning with it's rip cuts, rot pockets and a dense crown are great urban habitats for wildlife.

I'm not arguing the case for poor pruning practices but maybe it has it's upsides.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ty Korrigan said:

People want to keep the shade and some ambience which isn't given by a wee stick of a tree.

Even a poorly pruned tree has more amenity value than a newly planted one when in leaf.

Besides, poor pruning with it's rip cuts, rot pockets and a dense crown are great urban habitats for wildlife.

I'm not arguing the case for poor pruning practices but maybe it has it's upsides.

Nonsense 🤷🏿‍♂️

Edited by Sviatoslav Tulin