Hiring out machinery

dangb93

So while I am sitting here recovering (see thread titled "To all stump grinder operators") I have had several requests from fellow tree surgeons to hire my machinery off me - chipper, loader, stump grinder, wood splitter, mewp. This is for non-operated hire.

I have spoken to my insurers, and one or two hire companies I know, and they all say different things about what I need to have in place.

What are my legal duties? Or what do I need to have in place so that if something goes wrong, so I don't end up in trouble?

HSE says that I would be classed as a supplier if I hire out my machinery.

So far I have got;

Compliance with PUWER and LOLER - that's clear to me - making sure the machine is correctly guarded, fit for purpose, and keeping a record of this.

Ensuring that the person hiring has a NPTC ticket for the machine that he/she is hiring.

Getting the person whose hiring to sign a document to say that I have shown them how the machine works and the safety features etc.

Making sure they have hired in plant insurance.

Is there anything I am missing? Do I need insurance of any kind?

TIA

Generally hiring out kit which you use yourself isn't a good combination. It may seem like a nice little money spinner but if its hired out on a Wednesday and you need it for a job on Thursday, but it comes back beaten up, broken or even just damaged blades then that's a problem. Or if their job over runs and need an additional day or two what happens then?

If you're busy on a tree job and you have a machine hired out separately and it doesn't start, feed rollers wont go around, or generally breaks down how can you attend. Folk have a fairly short expectation time in regards to attending a breakdown or swapping the machine out if they are paying for hire.

Hire only really works with dedicated hire kit. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the input. Just to clarify two things;

1.) I haven't used the machinery for the last 10 months, and I am unlikely to for another year or so, due to my injury. That was the reason for the reference to my stump grinder accident thread in my first post.

So if something does happen to it, it's not like I need it the next day (unless someone else does of course!)

2.) To mitigate the abuse and damage of my kit, it would only be hired occasionally to people I know personally who I can trust.

• Like 1

HSS etc, publish their hire agreements online, might be worth a look? As above I would be very cautious about damage and who pays for it. You need to be sure the operators will be liberal with the grease gun and hydraulic fluids. Also please think about why your friends have come to you - if they can't hire these machines in the wider market it could be because the machines get so much abuse that the hire charges will never stack up!

• Like 1

The best hire is the non mechanical stuff. Heras fencing, RPA/Z protection gear, tm signage/lights, ground boards,welfare units etc. Count it out and count it back in, for any losses or damage charge new for old.The Heras can go out for months/years at a time.

Bob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1