The Arbalk morning register!

Stephen Blair

Morning all.

More sleep would've been nice but it's not to be.

Walked round the chipper yesterday to see a lass, maybe 8, in a heap with her bike on a road junction and her stuff spread across the road. A little paper bag containing her prized possessions had caught the front wheel and she'd fallen off. Cars just driving around her, what an inconvenience she was, and people walking past on the pavement apparently not interested.

I got a bag from the truck and we picked up her crayons, bracelets and assorted colouring books while she proudly told me all about them, then we got the chain put back on her bike. Thank you for helping me she smiled and off she went.

It's sad and I was quite angry at how many people came across her on the road and just went around. People can be so shit.

On that happy note, have a good one folks!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

That's horrible to see. Good on you for stepping in, but yeah, people can be shite. 

I nearly mashed a young cyclist once, I had just dropped off my son at his montessori and was driving around the compound to the exit, a Ukrainian refugee girl comes barrelling around a sharp corner and down a hill... there's about 40 families housed in a disused maternity hospital on the same site... no brakes on the donated bike she's got... I managed to swerve off the single lane, one-way road so she hit the side of the car at a sloping angle and slide along it instead of straight into the bonnet at 90°, god knows how it would have ended up otherwise. I was only going about 8kph and had stopped before she impacted, but still.

Got out and picked her up, rubbed her grazed knee for a bit, tried my best to fix the f*cked up brakes on her bike. Poor thing was in bits at first but had put a brave face on it by the end. Not much point to this story other than only donate toys to refugees that are in good working order, I suppose.

Anyway, today I'm pulling all the bindweed out of my folks compost bins, fruit patch and apple trees, and we'll take it from there.

20240726_183419.thumb.jpg.72461166b4dc6cc226268024edb67518.jpg

Have a good day everyone. 

Edited by peds
  • Like 2

I spy a sunblest basket in the undergrowth, those things escape into the wild all over the country!

Funny you say about the brakes peds, the girls bike yesterday didn't have working brakes, I said can your dad not fix them for you, "I haven't got a dad" she said looking up with big teary eyes. Heartbreaking. She said she loves her bike but her friends bike has unicorn stickers on it and she wished she had some too. I wished I could've taken her to Halfords, got her stickers and fixed her bloody brakes!

• Like 1

Well done on your efforts Doug, example to all!

Got a thick head this morning, consolation drink after missing out on 500hp Dodge that I wanted! Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Temper, Airily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peds said:

That's horrible to see. Good on you for stepping in, but yeah, people can be shite. 

I nearly mashed a young cyclist once, I had just dropped off my son at his montessori and was driving around the compound to the exit, a Ukrainian refugee girl comes barrelling around a sharp corner and down a hill... there's about 40 families housed in a disused maternity hospital on the same site... no brakes on the donated bike she's got... I managed to swerve off the single lane, one-way road so she hit the side of the car at a sloping angle and slide along it instead of straight into the bonnet at 90°, god knows how it would have ended up otherwise. I was only going about 8kph and had stopped before she impacted, but still.

Got out and picked her up, rubbed her grazed knee for a bit, tried my best to fix the f*cked up brakes on her bike. Poor thing was in bits at first but had put a brave face on it by the end. Not much point to this story other than only donate toys to refugees that are in good working order, I suppose.

Anyway, today I'm pulling all the bindweed out of my folks compost bins, fruit patch and apple trees, and we'll take it from there.

20240726_183419.thumb.jpg.72461166b4dc6cc226268024edb67518.jpg

Have a good day everyone. 

Kiddyfiddler. 

Those bread trays are a nuisance. There are a few in the weeds at my sub-allotment. You can't actually store anything in them and the grid is perfect for nettles to grow through and knit them to the ground. You could tether a satellite to the one I tried pulling up yesterday. 

Edited by AHPP