MK6 Transit

eggsarascal

There is a proper tidy MK6 Transit up the road, low mileage and never needed any welding, which quite frankly is unbelievable. Anyway, if I take it today I’ve got it for a steal. The only thing wrong with it is two of the injector seals are leaking, is this as straightforward as it looks to replace them, if so I’ll do all four, or is it a pig of a job? I’ve had a few MK6’s but never had to do this job on one. Any tips? I’ll probably take it anyway, if only for breaking, now that I’ve got a bit of yard space again.

10 hours ago, Will C said:

Soak them with penetrating oil for a couple of days n out they come with a puller like this

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for The Fuel Injector Removal Tool Constructed...

Am I right in thinking on the 2.4 Durotourqe the rocker cover doesn’t need to come off? Remove high pressure lines then undo them then pull them out? 2 & 4 are the ones that are leaking, if they are a barsteward to get out would you leave 1 & 3 or persevere?

The 2.4 engines are poor so don't get burned on it.

They are easy to work on,the injectors get very tight but do come out.

Fuel pumps do 60k miles and the engines spit cranks out if remapped.

Remapping them makes them bloody quick if you derestrict the max limiter.

There rapid units in defenders running like that but do like alot of oil 

Don't bother just doing a couple of the injectors replace all of them , you do need to recode them so will need a flaptop to plug in.

Then off you go with 300 bhp

Edited by hedge mong

If it’s a 6 speed 135 tdci engine walk away never ever run right forever in limp mode there shit but transits themselves are a piece of piss to work on this week I’ve had 2 euro 5 trucks took the engines out and put euro 4 in because there more reliable then stripped the cabs out and had to change the wiring harnesses it’s a pig of a job but I love it 😂😂

Jack

• Like 2

10 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Am I right in thinking on the 2.4 Durotourqe the rocker cover doesn’t need to come off? Remove high pressure lines then undo them then pull them out? 2 & 4 are the ones that are leaking, if they are a barsteward to get out would you leave 1 & 3 or persevere?

I can’t remember about the rocker cover, it’s a while ago but don’t remember them being to bad to get out.

As to pushing on to do the full set are you planning on keeping it or moving it on once running right?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Will C said:

I can’t remember about the rocker cover, it’s a while ago but don’t remember them being to bad to get out.

As to pushing on to do the full set are you planning on keeping it or moving it on once running right?

I’m not sure whether to keep it or not yet, it’s got to be one of the tidiest MK6’s I’ve seen in a good while, I see where you are coming from though. I’ll get stuck into this weekend and see how it goes.

21 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

If it is the same motor as the 2.4 Defender then you're right, you don't need to disturb the camshaft cover. Remove the HP lines, disconnect the bleed line and electrical connector from each, then remove the clamp bolt and clamp. Since there is 1 bolt/clamp for each pair of injectors it is risky only to remove one since the other will also be unclamped. It's a false economy not to do them all - you're doing most of the work anyway.

I don't know of a puller that fits the 2.4 injectors but they usually come free with a wiggle. Replace the copper sealing washers at the tip, the larger seal between the injector and the cam cover, and if possible the tiny O-rings on the bleed line connectors. The clamp bolts must not be reused, they are stretch bolts. It's not a difficult job but I understand that access on a Transit isn't great (it is on a Defender).

In my opinion the 2.4 is a good strong engine with bags of torque. My 2.4 Defender has now done nearly 275k miles, it's remapped and de-EGR'ed, the latter in particular helps prolong engine life.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Treewolf said:

If it is the same motor as the 2.4 Defender then you're right, you don't need to disturb the camshaft cover. Remove the HP lines, disconnect the bleed line and electrical connector from each, then remove the clamp bolt and clamp. Since there is 1 bolt/clamp for each pair of injectors it is risky only to remove one since the other will also be unclamped. It's a false economy not to do them all - you're doing most of the work anyway.

I don't know of a puller that fits the 2.4 injectors but they usually come free with a wiggle. Replace the copper sealing washers at the tip, the larger seal between the injector and the cam cover, and if possible the tiny O-rings on the bleed line connectors. The clamp bolts must not be reused, they are stretch bolts. It's not a difficult job but I understand that access on a Transit isn't great (it is on a Defender).

In my opinion the 2.4 is a good strong engine with bags of torque. My 2.4 Defender has now done nearly 275k miles, it's remapped and de-EGR'ed, the latter in particular helps prolong engine life.

Great firsthand knowledge, I’ll follow this when I set about it on the weekend. Would you go genuine Ford seals that are eye watering expensive or are there pattern parts that will do a decent job?