5 acres ash and beech woodland - thinning tender

hb66

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question. We have 5 acres of ash and beech that need thinning and managment, and I want to make this available to someone prepared to pay for the wood and/or rights work the woodland, or exchange rights for arborist work on the rest of our 30 acre farm. A couple of example pictures attchedimage.thumb.jpeg.cc7ec7e35f990e8a73170eefc63c2b9c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.72c17e9b26f4b81b4ef4e721354ce27b.jpeg

First off you need to add a location, forestry works on small scale tend to happen on a local level rather than by national companies.

Secondly I hope you are not expecting to get rich from it, if you have adb the timber will hold far less value if it’s to far gone.

Thirdly a forester and an arborist are two different things, yes many overlap (ourselves included) and cover both but not all so don’t count on this service for timber. 

good luck with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hb66 said:

Thanks for the considered reply.

1. GU32 1AU (Petersfield)

2. Not got any hopes or delusions on profiting, but would like to break even.

3. Point taken - think I need an arborist who also forrests...

Wrong side of the Solent for me unfortunately, by the time we get the boat there would be nothing in it for either of us. 

• Thanks 1

Felling licences in Wales take about 12 weeks,  i would imagine that it is the same in England. 

Don't let a tree surgeon loose in your woods.

You have got reasonable tree form,  and will make ideal processor grade firewood.

Have a look on the Forestry Contracting Association web site, there are a number of contractors in your area.

Before you go down the felling route, make sure that you go have some form of goals/ management plans, so that any felling regime can fit into your forest aims/ goals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 03/08/2023 at 14:59, hb66 said:

Not yet applied. How long does this normally take?

If a straight forward application for thinning only and not a felling it does not go on Public Register for planting and felling so will depend on how quickly an officer can deal with it, probably <6 weeks (England).