new lads, groundsmen and brash-draggers

manco

I think the days of being able to pay someone £80 to drag brash are gone. A friend of mine was recently labouring for a hard landscaper, without any prior experience and was getting £150 a day, which isn’t out of the ordinary for labours in general it seems! 

Also, most younger guys now don’t want to start dragging brash, they want to get up a tree and take as many arty pictures for Instagram as they can🤦‍♂️

Edited by Treetom15
Spelling!
  • Like 1

ok stop focusing on the "cheap" cos thats not even the issue right now

the issue is where do you look for good lads, where do you find new workers who are wanting to get into trees but not rocking up fresh from college arb course and wanting megabucks cos they think theyre the dogs danglies.

100 quid a day goes a lot further as a wage for a 20 yr old than for a 30 yr old.

but i have to find them first. thats the question. 

where do you find new guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manco said:

the issue is where do you look for good lads, where do you find new workers who are wanting to get into trees but not rocking up fresh from college arb course and wanting megabucks cos they think theyre the dogs danglies.

100 quid a day goes a lot further as a wage for a 20 yr old than for a 30 yr old.

Migrant camp? 😬 Prisoner day release program? 😬 Or invest in a small multitasker machine and configure it to drag more brash than two men and employ one good man on a good wage to run it.

You might even get a cheap dole guy to run the machine for cheap if it cuts down on the physical effort.

I moved a couple tonnes of logs yesterday with the track barrow, across a hundred yard lawn, in an hour. A lad with a wheelbarrow wouldn't have done it in half a day.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, manco said:

ok enough with the stupid replies, im asking a serious question where do you all go looking for labourers.

They're not stupd replies. Tongue in cheek, maybe, but with serious undertones.

All the time that menial physical work pays a few hundred a month more than being on the dole, you won't find them. Blame the state. I sympathise with you, cause I've been where you are and I really can't see how dealing with low paid staff is worth the hassle for the profit it brings you.

The machinery route is what I've gone down. Todays job at 9AM was move a few pallets of bricks and some bulk bags of sand with the multione. Two hours including travelling, £350 plus vat. Cient is happy because it was still cheaper than struggling to find labour and paying them to shift them by hand.

Doesn't take many days wages to pay the monthly finance for some pretty handy kit.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, manco said:

The answer is that you can't find them because they don't exist. I've never come across any that's for sure.

I've a few older lads that arent tree guys but who will put in a good shift on the ground but they want £15-16 an hour or they won't bother.

Doesn't help with your manpower issue I know but that's the reality of it.

Most of the time when I need a hand I will be the groundie and a freelance climber will come in.  As long as it's priced into the job first then the money ends up the same for us anyway really.

On 03/08/2023 at 08:07, Puffingbilly413 said:

The answer is that you can't find them because they don't exist. I've never come across any that's for sure.

I've a few older lads that arent tree guys but who will put in a good shift on the ground but they want £15-16 an hour or they won't bother.

Doesn't help with your manpower issue I know but that's the reality of it.

Most of the time when I need a hand I will be the groundie and a freelance climber will come in.  As long as it's priced into the job first then the money ends up the same for us anyway really.

happy to pay 12 or 15 quid an hour for someone thats gonna be into the job, eager and is gonna get the work done and not drag-ass.

8 hours at a tenner is 80 quid.

if that same lad can get the same job done in 4 hours, at 15 quid an hour its 60 quid and its worth the extra 20 for getting the job done quick.

problem is young lads dont seem to understand that thinking, get the job done quick and get home quicker with comparatively more wages.

they just seem to drag-ass and try to get 80 quid for a full day.

where do you find better lads who are switched on and actually want to do the job and start getting into tree work?

coming from arb college is no good cos they want megabucks and still cant do anything, and dont want to drag brash

facebook dragslags are a waste of space and dont have any interest in the job or learning

and doleys are waste of time.

are we talking careers days in schools or what?