Strange Hare Behaviour

Billhook

Looked fine, though there is some mixy round there. Had more the look of a wasted wook who'd wandered somewhere he shouldn't be at a festival. Took off, comically startled when we looked out of the window at him.

I have never seen a hare with Myxy in all my years on the farm but I just copied this off google 

Myxomatosis is a highly infectious and fatal disease for wild or domestic rabbits and occasionally hares. A form of pox virus, myxomatosis is spread by fleas, mites and biting flies such as mosquitoes, as well as by direct contact between infected animals.

This hare looked quite healthy when it set off, I think that it just liked me!

I knew Myxomatosis was rare in Hares, but having seen it in rabbits they become absolutely oblivious to everything and become an easy fox meal.

But like you said, it might have not seen you as a threat. Usually they hunker down if they're a bit unsure before bolting off into the undergrowth. It's that or you found the thicko of the bunch 🙂

• Like 1

Certainly had elements of Mixy rabbit.

I suppose the only good news would be that if it did have it, it won't be dragging itself back into a warren and killing the whole lot. 

Sadly, in a week or so you might find it flat in it's scrape.  

Just had another encounter at the other end of the farm.  Again the hare sat in the middle of the chalk road and did not move when I slowly approached in my car.  Like the other one it scratched itself and then moved its paw over its eye a bit like a cat would and then licked its paw.  This may be normal behaviour to clear out dust but it may be a touch of myxomatosis.  Otherwise  it eventually ran off like the other one.  They both looked a bit thin but they may just be very young leverets.