Anyone else?

eggsarascal

21 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Probably the wrong place to ask but, have any of you as you’ve got older become scared of heights? 

youre not scared of heights youre scared of consequences.

you realise how many more things could go wrong or how.

but im still gonna call you a wimp, just because.

22 hours ago, Excels1or said:

Yes, but I also think its an "exposure" thing. If there's a long run of big tree jobs the fear disappears after a while only to come back after a period of small stuff. As you get older you've also got more of an imagination, which gives you the fear but probably keeps you safe as well 🤷‍♂️

I think this could have nailed it, familiarity may be the key. Lots of my work is subterranean, I’ve worked on some of the deepest drainage networks in the Uk and never had a problem with the depth, but that is usually in confined spaces. Maybe it’s the openness and height that make me feel uneasy these days.

• Like 1

When you are young, you don't look at the danger or the consequences of doing something a bit stupid and dangerous.

When you get a fair bit older, you cling on to what you have in life and know that life is difficult enough with just normal aches and pains let alone ruptured spleen, fractured pelvis, shattered vertebrae, muscle and nerve damege, broken bones etc.....if you are unlucky. 

Also with age, your balance, strength and general fitness won't be as good as a 20 year old.

I will still get up a ladder and don't think too much about it but take less risks than I used to.

In my days in the steelworks used to work on the overhead cranes at 90ft+ without batting an eyelid. Didn't like the lime bay crane though as access was by walkway which went over the crane which was at 110ft so walkway must have been 130ft. Like you Eggs it had open grills which wasn't good.

Only time I felt bad with heights was on a ski lift in Aviemore - the open two seater type of thing. Funnily enough the Mrs who hates heights was ok with that.

• Like 1

The longer you go without an accident the more your confidence builds.

It doesn't mean that the confidence you hold is always a wise confidence. It is possible to become a confident fool.

We regularly hear "I am building my confidence" . Take care that you are not building your foolishness.

Confidence is vital in our work. So is safety.

That's my contribution 🙂

Re working at height - I loved it most of the time, but when my son was born 16months ago I wasn't half as comfortable with a lot of stuff I was previously doing. And now that I have had my terrible accident, I can't say that such dangerous work is quite so appealing now (even though my accident was nothing to do with working at height)

• Like 2