Aerial Rescue Practice

krummholz

On 13/07/2023 at 22:54, Joe Newton said:

I'm sure there's plenty on here with valuable input to give, but it's off-putting whilst the two of you are bickering back and forth like children.

Pipe down and you might get a bit more contribution. 

Apologies, I just got a bit carried away in the pro AR camp. It’s this weather gov, honest…

• Haha 1

On 13/07/2023 at 22:54, Joe Newton said:

I'm sure there's plenty on here with valuable input to give, but it's off-putting whilst the two of you are bickering back and forth like children.

Pipe down and you might get a bit more contribution. 

Fair comment, I just felt a need to defend both AR and practice. The thread was being kicked into the long grass by people who were taking things off topic.

Edited by krummholz

6 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I mean I hate to be pedantic but that was what I suggested in my first post here…

I was in an employed role when we first did that, about 13 years ago. We had about 4/5 local companies + contractors who would get involved for it. It was a great opportunity to share techniques, especially for the guys working in companies where there wasn’t such a high standard of climbing. We kept a record of everyone who was there and what they’d done, then we’d have a fire, food and a few beers and generally have a nice day of it. Ticked all the boxes for the hse, very low cost, and a good fun day.

Are you still doing this then?

1 hour ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

If by this you mean continuing this ridiculous back and forth with you, then no.

I’m talking about the subject of the thread, and how people are doing it. You mentioned how you used to do it a a group of several small outfits, simply asking if you have continued in this vein or are doing things differently now?

Its the most straightforward, virtually cost free, easily manageable and enjoyable option put forward so far.

Edited by 5thelement

The rescue scenario is always assumed to be an arterial bleed, 3 minute window, etc, not a hope etc.

There are other potential scenarios where time in minutes isn't a factor, but rescue is still required... Injuries that wouldn't preclude self-rescue but would make self-rescue potentially dangerous. Injuries to the hand, eye, knee etc. The effort of self rescue might further damage the injured part, or risk getting tangled up or something.

A concussion, might not render the casualty incapacitated, but could introduce the risk of doing something dangerous on the way down, like unclipping etc. Stress, impairment, pain, etc.

A climber could get stuck. Not injured, but unable to self rescue. If he stayed stuck for hours, some kind of injury could result. In a scenario like this, only a rescue climber would do. Maybe the tree is inaccessible to fire brigade etc. maybe the fire brigade is out on call, at a car accident or fire. What are you going to do? Call around other tree firms begging for a climber?

No harm in practicing rescues. The rescue climber may not be the real deal, but if time isn't a crucial factor, a little training is better than none.

• Like 5

There’s a thread on an American forum I’m on where a guy talks about his dads death in a tree, suffocated by his harness in a rigging mishap.

His two non climbing groundies had to stand helpless and watch.

I’ll get a link put up in a short while.

MASTERBLASTERHOME.COM

My dad was kill in April, it’s been really hard because I feel like I should have been there. I made this video, it...

39 minutes ago, carlos said:

we all seem to be in agreement that a second climber would do a better job of a rescue than a aerial rescue ticketed groundy, so whats the difference between the two!

Probably just a case of experience and time in the saddle really, although you could get a calm and collected groundy doing a better response than a second climber in a bit of a flap.