Average cutting and extraction rates.

Evening all.

I’m a few years out of date as been climbing full time for 9+ years but that’s changing again, so we have been having discussions regarding rates for cutters on self select hardwood thinnings and Coppice work. 99% is fire wood with the occasional saw log mixed in. No pissing about just 10ft lengths all the way apart from any saw log. 

Also interested in extraction rates for tractor trailer based forwarders in small ish blocks with fairly short extraction routes to road side.  

ideally piece rates per ton but open to day rates with and idea of average performance.

cheers.

Average hardwood thinning (decent sized trees, bit of winching, few hundred meters haulage) I would say £30-35 a ton. Felled, snedded and stacked at roadside.

I've had some good cutters asking me for work for between £120 and £200 a day recently if that's any help. That's all their fuel and no climbing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, slack ma girdle said:

My best for felling & extraction to roadside was £14 per m3, my worst is £79. There are too many variables for each site, and don't forget to factor in breakdowns. I consider a week without a breakdown an exceptional week.

What sort of forestry machines break down the least frequently and the least expensively?

8 hours ago, AHPP said:

What sort of forestry machines break down the least frequently and the least expensively?

Thats a 65 million dollar question,, Forestry is about the harshest enviroment you can put machinery in to, and when  when you look back at what machines have been used in forestry work over the years in the uk some things just speak for there selves,, after the war is was the green standard Fordsons, then came the E27 Major, then the Major E1A, power major ,super major, then came the Grandaddy of em all the County,s, as far as i am concerned the county 1164 and 1174 where probably the 2 best machines that have gone in to forestry work, all ways started no matter how cold it was, cheap to run for what they where, and when it came to repair,s they where cheap to repair and easy to work on, and as one old guy told me many years ago simplicity is reliability, there are many old Majors and Countys out there that are still doing a trouble free weeks work, the machines of today are just like our cars full of electrics and sensors and that to me just spells trouble at some point in its life,,

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, slack ma girdle said:

My Nuffield 10/60 cost £500 18 years ago, up until the flywheel bearing collapsed last year, only needed a new starter motor.

My little 1953 David brown has 8500 hours on and still has the factory paint on the head bolts and bell housing so never had major work! I paid 200 plus vat nearly 28 years ago. It has waiting to have a new radiator fitted but other than that only servicing costs and a new set of boots!

Edited by Will C
  • Like 1