Boundary multi stem tree

Barti

May as well cut the stem yourside   at  the base imo as it would look more tidy.

I think you can legally cut all but not 100% sure.....?

Saw a "funny" pic online  somewhere where a whole of  large diameter tree trunk had being cut down the middle removing about 1/3 of whole encroaching trunk from the base to he bottom of the crown, to fit a newly erected fence.

Was cut like this apart from the  tree was more vertical so still had a half  a top

image.png.ec8fdec73e1d7373b937eef5f5f3ed70.png

As was not ring barked so chance the tree could possibly still survive yrs as a  hollow tree....

veteranisation.....?

But in your tree its  two seperate trunks right at ground lvl so it won't be so crazy as literally slicing in half a maiden tree trunk down the middle

Edited by Stere
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Barti said:

is there anything in writing online that states you can cut an overhanging tree trunk? Everything just talks about branches and roots 

I guess my point is he’s arguing it’s a jointly owned boundary tree , which perhaps one trunk is but the other trunk I want gone - would still have a massive impact on my garden.

1 hour ago, Stere said:

May as well cut the stem yourside   at  the base imo as it would look more tidy.

I think you can legally cut all but not 100% sure.....?

Saw a "funny" pic online  somewhere where a whole of  large diameter tree trunk had being cut down the middle removing about 1/3 of whole encroaching trunk from the base to he bottom of the crown, to fit a newly erected fence.

Was cut like this apart from the  tree was more vertical so still had a half  a top

image.png.ec8fdec73e1d7373b937eef5f5f3ed70.png

As was not ring barked so chance the tree could possibly still survive yrs as a  hollow tree....

veteranisation.....?

But in your tree its  two seperate trunks right at ground lvl so it won't be so crazy as literally slicing in half a maiden tree trunk down the middle

That’s interesting, similar situation. 
if I’m not allowed to cut it down it’s absolutely bizarre - in theory a neighbours tree trunk could grow in your property at 45 degrees and ruin your garden. You could even plant multiple trees on a boundary at an angle over a fence and no one could do anything about it the trunks as they grow into your property apart from cut branches off. 

for context the tree and fence situation is the result of previous owners on both sides of the fence , neither of us have been here long. 

16 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

This can get very messy but from the way the fence is built, with the back side toward you, I would say it's your fence and your tree.

Is there someone who can prove it ? Is A surveyor the right place to go next?

The trunk on the right starts in their garden.

what if for example I decided I wanted a new a fence , can I say the tree is in the way?

1 hour ago, Barti said:

Thoughts ?

43a2dc4d-e1f5-4774-9adf-5e782fbe1972.jpeg

This really makes it look like the tree is predominantly on your side. Can't see he has any say in the existence of the left hand stem. Fair enough to be 50/50 on the other one. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jackalope said:

This really makes it look like the tree is predominantly on your side. Can't see he has any say in the existence of the left hand stem. Fair enough to be 50/50 on the other one. 

That is my opinion too. He argues that the base starts his side so therefore it belongs to him or at most it’s 50:50. 

If I cut the left one and it the right one is now imbalanced and is a hazard then what ? Is it my problem as it’s his side?