Ya know them days being a subbie chews at you?

eggsarascal

31 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

How long have you got?!

In 2004 dropped a big oak butt in a garden in Woking without realizing there was a 15” main sewage pipe just under the surface.

The groundy said he’d heard a funny noise when it dropped, I said it was just a redundant land drain from when it was farmland.

Then the tampons, nappies and human shit started covering the lawn.

The picture is of me ringing it down, I realised that it was too time consuming so I felled it in one.

2B5A8C4B-60B4-41E2-9E9D-7EBAC615CA62.jpeg

I’d have done the same. That’s a stout tree.

There are some monsters in Woking. My uncle has a couple of big beech about the same as that in his garden, backing onto the canal. No access except round corners, through the house/garage. That’s a logistical exercise when they need to come down. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Out****************ingstanding!  That's a chunky girl alright. Sod chogging that. How close could you get a crane?

In hindsight I would have done it very differently, and better.

I certainly didn’t do it in the most effective fashion.

Pre-internet 2004 (just about) we were working in a bubble of a few guys who chatted about stuff, you didn’t see videos of other guys around the world (or even the likes of Reg in Manchester) doing crane jobs. Undoubtedly it happened but it wasn’t widespread or something the ordinary guy would consider.

• Like 1

Rock and a hard place, Joe. I need him as much as he needs me. He pays every week on time. In November 2021 he took on 162 pumping stations over three industrial estates that aren't far from here, and to be fair they are money for old rope. He just needs to leave me alone to look after them. 

13 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

In hindsight I would have done it very differently, and better.

I certainly didn’t do it in the most effective fashion.

Pre-internet 2004 (just about) we were working in a bubble of a few guys who chatted about stuff, you didn’t see videos of other guys around the world (or even the likes of Reg in Manchester) doing crane jobs. Undoubtedly it happened but it wasn’t widespread or something the ordinary guy would consider.

We certainly live in a brave new world of possibilities. Personally I would price for the least labour intensive option and let someone undercut me and have the headache on a job like that. I'll bet you made bugger all profit on that one. 

8 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Rock and a hard place, Joe. I need him as much as he needs me. He pays every week on time. In November 2021 he took on 162 pumping stations over three industrial estates that aren't far from here, and to be fair they are money for old rope. He just needs to leave me alone to look after them. 

Here's a wild card, but hear me out...

Chat to the bloke. Explain that you know your field which is why he pays you. Also explain that you appreciate his work and that you'd prefer to maintain that relationship. Then mention your grievance and see if he can understand.

If not you've lost nothing that you hadn't written off in your head already. Best case you keep his work and he let's you do your thing. 

Sounds crazy, right?

• Like 1

The other thing to note is that this discussion is effectively based on you being a good as you think you are.

It's not a challenge because we don't know each other, but if you've given him prior cause to doubt you then that's a factor worth noting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

In November 2021 he took on 162 pumping stations over three industrial estates that aren't far from here, and to be fair they are money for old rope. He just needs to leave me alone to look after them. 

Out of curiosity who did you not take them on if you have the knowledge and he does not?

9 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Out of curiosity who did you not take them on if you have the knowledge and he does not?

This is going to be tedious. I didn’t know about them, the boss man is part of a franchise, another franchisee was retiring, it was agreed the boss could stray into the next area to do the pumps, no other drainage work. He posted on a Facebook (drainage) group that I’m a member of saying he wanted a pump engineer in the North Staffs, Sourh Cheshire area. At the time I had itchy feet and was after a move. It made sense, he’d got the pump stations, I’d draw a wage off him.

• Like 1