80 years ago today,

spuddog0507

80 years ago today on 16th/17th May 1943 19 specially modified Lancasters with 133 crew on board left our shores and headed for the German dams in the Ruhr and Eder valleys, each plane carried a special made bomb, at first called the bouncing bomb, then commonly became known as the upkeep, in the development of the upkeep it was found that this bomb would be dropped from a hiegt of 60ft with a back spin of 500rpm to ensure it skipped across the water to avoid the torpedo nets protecting the dams, 

The objective of this operation was to destroy the dams and slow Hitlers war machine down as this area of Germany was very industrial area manufacturing for the German war effort,

It was agreed by Guy Gibbson and Arthur Harris that they would fly to the targets at a altitude of 100ft or less to avoid German radar detection,, 

These planes started leaving RAF Scampton at 21,28 each with 7 crew on board and the 4,1tonne upkeep plus incenderies , they left in 3 formations  with each formation taking a different route to 3 different targets,

First target to be reached was the Mohna dam and this was found to be guarded with anti aircraft guns so made the mission more difficult but it was destroyed at 00,28 with the fith upkeep dropped by Dave Maltby, 

Second target was the Eder dam and this was destroyed by Les Knight at 01,52am,

Third target was the Sorpe dam and only 2 planes reached this dam and on reaching it the steep land around the dam made it a difficult tarrget to attack, however it was unguarded and the dession to fly along the dam and release the upkeep with no back spin on it, the 2 upkeeps dropped here where by Joe Mccarthy and Kenneth Brown,the dam was not breached but it was heavily fractured,,

Was it a succes ?, yes it was as it destroyed 2 hydro electric power stations and caused heavy damage to 7 others, destroyed and damaged dozens of factory's,  railways, mines and halted steel production by over 50% it is said that a estimated 1600 people killed, all this slowed Hitlers war production down and was claimed to be a big turning point in WW11 for us,

On this operation we lost 8 aircraft and 53 airmen with 3 others taken as POW,s, personally I have the upmost 100% respect for these brave men who fought for our freedom, 

One statement that makes the hair on the back of my kneck stand up was said by radio operator George Chalmers who flew with Bill townsend, George said he looked out of his porthole and Bill was flying our Lancaster down a fire break in a forest below treetop height,,,

First photo Guy Gibson, Mick Martin and John Hopgood leaving RAF Scampton at 21,39 all loaded up,

Second photo Gibson,  Martin and Hopgood just coming over the Dutch coast , 

Third photo enemy coast ahead skipper,

Forth photo Dave Mattby, Dave Shannon and Hennry Maudsley under fire heading up the Nothsea canal, 

Fifth photo Joe Mccarthy under fire on the same route as Maltby, Shannon and maudsley, Mccarthy,s plane developed a coolant leak and was assigned to a reserve Lancaster and took off some 34 minuets late so there for flew solo,,

Sixth photo Dave matbys run in under fire at the Mohna dam 

Seventh photo was on the morning of 17th May 1943, last plane home to RAF Scampton was Flgt Sgt Bill townsend who landed at Scampton at 06,15 here he is under fire making his way out to the north Sea on his way home, 

Eighth photo has to be the last, here we see Joe Mccarthy dropping his upkeep at the Sorpe dam, below the pilot in the glass bubble was bomb aimer squadron leader  George leonard Johnson who was known as Johnny Johnson by all that knee him, Johnny Johnson was the last member of the dams raid to pass away and sadly he passed away on 7th December 2022 at the age of 101, so that would of made him 22 years old on this mission, my hat goes off to him and all that took part in this mission Guy Gibson who lead the mission was only 24 at the time, well done lads,, 

I hope this is as appreciated as much as it is by myself as these men all went down in the history books as this being the most dangerous bombing mission of WW11, I have 100% respect to all involved on this mission called operation chastise RIP all of you,, 

Screenshot_20230429-165651_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230429-165816_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230509-232108_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230429-165405_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230429-165335_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230509-232046_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230429-165441_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230509-232841_Chrome.jpg

Edited by spuddog0507
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Walking the dog a couple of weeks ago when a Lancaster (think there is only one still flying, not sure though) flew overhead. Don't know if it was a shakedown for a commemorative flight to mark this anniversary or something to do with the coronation. 

Impressive sight and what a noise

• Like 3

Only 2 airworthy Lancasters flying at the moment, one in the UK and one in Canada, but we do have another one that is under restoration at present in Lincolnshire and this one was stored in a hanger on squiersgate airport at Blackpool for many years, a mate of mine was working for the council in blackpool and they was at the airport doing some work and they went to this hanger and there stood this lancaster, he has some photos of it and i will see if i can get them copied and post,, 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Billhook said:

Just thought I would take the old girl out for a spin to practice my three point landings!

image.thumb.png.3a625d82754dc1021e08467ce5064f3a.png 

And nobody is going to argue with my pair of Browning 303s!

image.thumb.png.edcf125e2a022f0b87a97aa68d14ab02.png

image.png

That's the Lancaster that was at Blackpool for years, NX611 and not a bullet hole in it as it never so active service, it is well on the way to being airworthy once again,, 

Just Jane resides at East Kirkby, near Spilsby and the museum there is well worth a visit.  You can book a taxi run  in the Lancaster.  There is a spooky old control tower restored to how it was in the war as well as a hangar full of aircraft bits from the war

I went down there a few years ago to witness the sound of twelve Merlins as the BBMF Lanc and the Canadian one came over while Jane was taxiing 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

Just Jane resides at East Kirkby, near Spilsby and the museum there is well worth a visit.  You can book a taxi run  in the Lancaster.  There is a spooky old control tower restored to how it was in the war as well as a hangar full of aircraft bits from the war

I went down there a few years ago to witness the sound of twelve Merlins as the BBMF Lanc and the Canadian one came over while Jane was taxiing 

Yes East kirkby, its owned by 2 brothers and it is being fully restored it was forecast that it would of been flying for the 80th aniversery of the Dams raid but Covid put a stop to that like many other things,