Growing new trees from existing stock

Vigen Tigen

Jeez...Thanks for this, there's some great info and guess I should have done a search before attempting to reinvent the wheel!😏

Still, be good to find a definitive resource on planning and managing a small bit of land (around 2 acres) to maximise growing trees for fuel.

Know it's early days from reading your post, but what did you do in the end?

Might want to look at poplar and eucalyptus,  willow will grow from just about any size 8 -10 foot branches pushed 21/2 feet into the ground work well, I have used lumps 10 inches in diameter to make instant pollards,

done in early spring to give best survival rates

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vigen Tigen said:

Jeez...Thanks for this, there's some great info and guess I should have done a search before attempting to reinvent the wheel!😏

Still, be good to find a definitive resource on planning and managing a small bit of land (around 2 acres) to maximise growing trees for fuel.

Know it's early days from reading your post, but what did you do in the end?

Pretty much as stated.

Kept aside a decent number of straight ends when I was trimming it out, usually they were at the very top, put a point on the end of them, scraped the bark a bit in the first foot or so, and pushed them in to the ground as far as they'd go.

Haven't been back near them since as I've had plenty else on my plate but will probably go down for a look at that particular area in the next week or so and see how they're doing.

• Like 1

If your going to plant  willow for biomass may as well imo try & source some rods of  the   biomass cultivars as theese specially breed  biomass willows grow alot more rapidly than most normal ones.

Some are actually  illegal to self propergate though  😏

Mulch or black plastic really helps  rapid establishment

• Thanks 1

Defiantly plant trees, but 2 acres isn't a huge amount of ground to supply a log boiler.

Might be better using some of the space to make access and stacking space for artic timber wagons (if you don't have already), buy in a load, then hire a processor for a couple of days.

And build a big log shed!

• Like 1

I think it was 4 years from bare ground to in the log shed for this hybrid willow

Chickens for scale!!

P1080359x.jpg

Yes I've put better stuff through a chipper but hey.....:011:

Edited by scbk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, scbk said:

Defiantly plant trees, but 2 acres isn't a huge amount of ground to supply a log boiler.

Might be better using some of the space to make access and stacking space for artic timber wagons (if you don't have already), buy in a load, then hire a processor for a couple of days.

And build a big log shed!

What is an arctic timber wagon? I guess by processor do you mean something the chip/process the Timber?  The reality is I will be burning 50cm logs in the boiler