Arb or not to arb?

Danavan

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would they know where a firm was working, without asking and tipping them off??:confused1:

I was mainly refering to the paper wrk side of things 'risk assesments ect' so I belive a spot check to the office & then a call to a cliant out of the bag & maybe a visit to said site if ok would be the way fwd? I am sure the cliant base of most co's would be acomadading to such checkl ups?

exuseue my spelling:blushing:

Hi Paul.

You mentioned a few posts ago about being able to administer CHAS compliance.

I have to be CHAS compliant for an organisation that I work for, so does this exempt me from any of the AAAC assesment criteria, and so to a reduced cost?

I have often thought applying to become an AC but the cost and timescale has always put me off.

Rgds...Al

Hi Paul.

You mentioned a few posts ago about being able to administer CHAS compliance.

I have to be CHAS compliant for an organisation that I work for, so does this exempt me from any of the AAAC assesment criteria, and so to a reduced cost?

I have often thought applying to become an AC but the cost and timescale has always put me off.

Rgds...Al

hi al

I know you have been an aa contractor in the past do you really think it benefits small firms such as our self’s, mainly chasing domestic work ?

I know being an aa contractor will help with the L/a works ???

Hi Al, thanks for the post.

Currently, I'm afraid not....sorry!

However as you may be aware there is a proposal to 'modularise' the scheme from Jan. 2011 and this will also work by 'mutually recognising' CHAS (and most other H&S accreditations) meaning you will not have to 'go over the same stuff again'. That said it makes me a little nervous as we have assessed several companies to date who are 'CHAS'd' and we've had concerns about their H&S systems (this is usually where the firm has engaged an external consultant to achieve CHAS 'for' them rather than 'with' them.)

I wholly acknowledge cost & timescales (in relation to your resources to 'bring things up-to-speed' presumably) are an important factor but the assessment fee (currently £870+VAT) is directly as a result of the cost of undertaking the assessment (2x assessors+expenses+admin) and generates a nominal surplus to the AC scheme. This fee also includes the first year's (from the date of approval) scheme subscription fee (currently £460+VAT) which includes the company entry onto the AA website and in the Directory.

Perhaps 'pie in the sky' but the process needs to be viewed as an investment and the company/firm will, I believe (based on feedback from just about every contractor I've assessed in the last 5 years), be better for it (principally in terms of H&S compliance and some company administration but also, in some instances, work quality & working practices).

SORRY to 'waffle on'...again, but I believe it's an important message to try and get across.

Cheers..

Paul

hi al

I know you have been an aa contractor in the past do you really think it benefits small firms such as our self’s, mainly chasing domestic work ?

Hi Stu, that's a fair comment.

The reality is that becoming an AC will introduce overheads into the company which in turn may affect the 'bottom line', so to speak, and in an extremely competitive sector such as the domestic market this could affect your competitiveness as price is (usually) 'King'. Now I feel I should say something to counter this view, problem is I can't think of anything as I accept it's a real factor and unless you perhaps see a local 'niche' market in your locality where an industry specific accreditation may be recognised and win you 'extra' work, or more profitable work, then you may have to place greater weight on the other benefits AAAC status could bring to the company, i.e external confirmation of H&S compliance and industry good practice adherence / acts as a company health check (to some extent) / better staff retention & recruitment (probably more to do with you as an employer but it can help) / potential for lowered insurance premiums (particularly now it'scombined with CHAS) etc. etc.

BUT you are quite right the greatest value as an AAAC is at the LA / commercial level and it is in this sector where I see the greatest potential for scheme growth. Of course if you see your firm/company expanding into this sector then undoubtedly AAAC status will help. The HSE are indirectly driving the scheme forward in this sector as part of their promotion of H&S at the client level delivered in their 'Engaging Arb. Contractors' SHADs (Safety & Health Awareness Days). I present on this workshop, specifically aimed at LAs / Health Authorities / Housing Assns./Unis etc. etc., and the AAAC Standards are presented as an 'industry benchmark for arboricultural contracting'. As AAAC status is not a legal requirement the HSE cannot 'endorse' it but they certainly 'recognise' it as the mark of a reputable, compliant and competent arb contractor (NOT to say that those who aren't ACs aren't also reputable, compliant & competent by any means BUT in that sector having an external, industry recognised, accreditation certainly carries weight and is specifically mentioned in HSE published guidance.)

I know, I need to get out more, I need to get back to climbing trees too but that scares the sh*t out of me these days.

thanks for your time.

Cheers..

Paul

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)

hi al

The honest answer is I dont know Stu.

Last time we were going for Kingston contract and other LA stuff so made sense to do it, it was also easier to do 15 years ago! Whether it helped on the domestic side us hard to say.

Now, part of me thinks it is not worth it just for domestic work, but then the other part says there are so many companies in our area that it could be a reason for a potential customer ringing me rather than someone else.

Right now I couldn't afford it anyway until things pick up more.

Rgds...Al

alot of L/a around here are looking towards iso assured scemes.

Do you feel feel the aa are pushing brand awarness into the public such as the corgy sceme for plumbers ?? or could more be down to promote the aa as the voice for tree work in the uk ??

Hi Stu,

By iso I take it you mean 9001, 14001, 18001 & Sector 18 (National Highways Sector Scheme 18 - Environment, Landscape & Ecology...REMEMBER your ISO must be accredited by UKAS here to qualify you....several contractors have been caught out here!!!)

The reality is this may suit the procurement depts. & the LA administrators AND, I believe it is seen as a demonstration of a 'bona fide' company who are serious about what thye're doing and in it for the long haul...PLUS of course it is quite useful to the company too.

BUT, except ISO (OHSAS) 18001 they have nothing to do with H&S nor 'competence'...hence the combined CHAS + AAAC (or equivalent???), which is the standard requirement for an increasing number of LAs (Devon CC & Oxford CC immediately come to mind but many others also do this.)

'YES' I absolutely agree more (much more) needs to be done to raise awareness of the AA & AAAC brands in the public, and other, domains but we need a 'bigger' voice so to do and more support & resources. PLUS we need to consider releasing use of the AA logo to members, which is currently 'under discussion', AND of course further promote the ACs and better market the scheme (AND, in addition to the standard AA logo give them there own uniquely identifiable logo as an 'Approved Contractor', and for Registered Consultants of course.)

With regard to the AAAC scheme this is often still a 'chicken and egg' scenario as many LAs tell us they would consider either using, or recommedning ACs, as they see the beneifts in so doing BUT there simply aren't enough around to viably do so. AND, I believe it will perpetuate itself as more contractors join (hopefully).

That's me done now as I've been punching these heavy 'keys' since about 7am...you've no idea, ha!

Cheers..

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have been asked this week if I am interested in doing the nptc cert for tree pruning (41) I think?, by a co I wrk for, as they are going to go for your acreditation.

Said co is under the impresion that they should have this cert for at least one of their employes to pass the AA inspection.

The resson I & other subi's are asked is to minimise the cost.

I belive that education & fwd thinking are doing good things for our industury but still have resavations about the many bodys that impose regulations apon us, as seems the case in this point only to futher profit for each other!?

Would an inspection with the min HSE regs & nptc's not be enough for acreditation?

This may open up doors to even smaller co's going for the AA stamp.

As I have read in past posts the £ goes up for the larger co's & I asume the inspection intencaty too 'as would be expected' so I can't see the big squeeze bing put on small co's a benafit to the tree industury.

Am I off the mark?

Hope your curry turned out well ;) the oinion ment to char a little more than expected to let out all those sugars;)

Have good weekend & ta if you post befor monday! Get the rice on....