Arb or not to arb?

Danavan

.hence the combined CHAS + AAAC (or equivalent???), which is the standard requirement for an increasing number of LAs (Devon CC & Oxford CC immediately come to mind but many others also do this.)

I thought that LA's couldnt ask for stuff like AAAC?

Isnt in fact breaching some legal stuff if they do?

You cant say if you aint in this club you cant play, well not when its public money etc.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cant say if you aint in this club you cant play, well not when its public money etc.

Yes you can? surely

otherwise it would be a free for all, I would think AAAC and ISO be minimum in the case of LA contracts?

i think you are right Mesterh and im sure there was a long thread on the subject a while ago.

I think all these clubs, assessments and 'corgi-for-tree-surgeons' schemes are great for LAs, and I know builders love all that stuff too, but I really wouldn't bother in the domestic market. I reckon good customers know themselves how to find good firms.

Edited by nailer

I think all these clubs, assessments and 'corgi-for-tree-surgeons' schemes are great for LAs, and I know builders love all that stuff too, but I really wouldn't bother in the domestic market. I reckon good customers know themselves how to find good firms.

It's not the good customers we need to focus on though. The message needs to touch all sectors imo.

It's not the good customers we need to focus on though. The message needs to touch all sectors imo.

This might be a narrow view and a bit whack, but I'm only interested in working for good customers - ones that appreciate quality work and pay for it willingly.

Danavan, your thread opener talks about firms bemoaning the lack of support and back-up. Do you mean in promoting their businesses and bringing in work? If so, I think that should be the sole responsibility of the tree firms themselves. Do you not think relying on a trade association to deliver customers is risky and a bit of a cop-out?

This might be a narrow view and a bit whack, but I'm only interested in working for good customers - ones that appreciate quality work and pay for it willingly.

That prob goes for us all, well I doubt anyone wants a bad non paying customer.:001_smile:

Getting them is another thing though!

I wish all work gathered could be for 'good' customers. Not the case IMO alot of the time. Education & the abilaty to wrk people to seeing a good end result as well as bing given the £ at the end of the job is just a small but esensual part of keeping a small industury up their in prof ethics & practice.

Danavan, your thread opener talks about firms bemoaning the lack of support and back-up. Do you mean in promoting their businesses and bringing in work? If so, I think that should be the sole responsibility of the tree firms themselves. Do you not think relying on a trade association to deliver customers is risky and a bit of a cop-out?

No not at all. You are right it is a responsibility of a firm to promot themselfes & the quality of wrk they push out. Having said this if it was the sole responsibiity of said co's then this comes back to what & why do we need a body like the AA if we were all so good at self promotion? I feel the AA have a roll to forfill in our industury which runs along side the HSE & best wrk practice, the question is what else do they do for us. Alot of points have been partly awnsewerd in past posts from an AA man at much lenghth:001_tongue: 'thanks Paul'

Businesse is businesse & the more we have on the same side is surly a better thing even if I do promote the next best arb app contractor whos price may be a little lower than mine. It's all about the trees right:001_smile:

i think you are right Mesterh and im sure there was a long thread on the subject a while ago.

There was one somewhere and iirc the outcome was if an LA specified that AA approval was required to tender then you can get it turned around and give them a slapping at the very least:001_smile: